Lethargic Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JoyfulChaosMama, Oct 11, 2011.

1. JoyfulChaosMama

JoyfulChaosMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    One of my hens, a jersey giant, who is usually very friendly and active has been acting strange. She went into the coop early yesterday, where she usually is one of the last to leave the barnyard at dusk. She has been there since. She is just kind of sitting around. She usually pecks from my hand very eagerly, and I really haven't seen her eat at all the past 24 hours. I checked her vent, abdomen, and crop...all seem fine. No wheezing, drainage, etc... and when she does walk, she walks fine, but she is mostly just sitting in one spot, closing her eyes. Her combs and wattle are bright fresh red and her eyes are also clear and bright. I'm not sure if she is laying yet, as I have 18 hens, all brown layers, all around 26 weeks old. The rest of the ladies seem perfectly normal.

I did change up the feed about 48 hours ago. I went from a fine mash to pellets. Could that have caused a problem? I'm just not sure what to do with her?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I doubt the feed had anything to do with it, as it did not effect the others, right?

Check on her tomorrow and the next day. Sometimes, things just upset them and it passes and they're back to normal. If it continues for a week, I'd be concerned.

3. JoyfulChaosMama

Sep 16, 2011
    Well, she's even more lethargic today, not eating a thing, kind of drooling, and their is an odd smell coming from her? Any further thoughts?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Quarantine her away from the others immediately. If it's a foul odor about the head area, most likely it's coryza.

5. JoyfulChaosMama

Sep 16, 2011
    She is quarantined now. Her eyes are clear but real wet looking. The rest of them look very healthy and alert. What else should I be doing? I put some apple cider vinegar in her water. Antibiotics? I'd hate to lose her.

6. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Have you checked her for sour crop?

7. JoyfulChaosMama

Sep 16, 2011
    Because she has not been eating, I cannot feel her crop, She is drooling a bit but the smell is not 'sour' or rotten.

8. Jenerva

Jenerva Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Detroit
    Quote:Lisa, what happened next? I have a lethargic hen and am looking for answers.

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have a similar situation going on, anyone have suggestions? white poop, lack of appetite

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by