Lethargic Hen???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nancypo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    My one hen a 5 month old barred rock has been lethragic the last 2 days. I gave her some yogurt yesterday thiking she might be constipated. She's been spending more time in the upper condo area late in the day, after she's been out for a bit, the last 2 days. Just goes up the ladder by herself. It has been colder and she's going thru a mini-molt. She seems droopier today. One of the 2 newer hens laid their 1st egg yesterday, but I'm not sure if it was hers. I'm not sure how to feel for an egg. I tried and she wasn't happy, but still droopy. Any ideas? I may bring her in tonite to keep an eye on her. The other 2 are fine. Her feathers seem fluffed up too. She is pooping, I pulled off a chuck stuck to her rear feathers... Ideas please?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I brought Ellie in, made some oats with hot water, a pinch of sugar. She's eating! I checked her vent before I put her in the basket, but I really don't feel anything... So far, so good with the soft, wet food...

3. jasncab1477

jasncab1477 New Egg

Oct 29, 2011
    if your hen i egg bound its very dangerous. i thought my hen was egg bound and the vet did an xray and found no eggs.
    if a hen were to be egg bound there are ideas online to do at home your self if you have the stomach for it!

or take her to the vet wicth can be expensive and dangerous. the vet would have to insert a needle to collect the yolk, and deflate the shell. the dangerous part is that they may puncture her insides, or if any yolk leaks inside her it can cause infection.
    i read online that while wearing a glove, insert your finger carefully into her vent and masage her abdomenand you should be able to feel the egg and gently ease the egg down.

i wish you all the best luck as i have been nursing a sick shicken for 1 week with no improvement. but at the same time not any worse..

4. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I don't think she's egg bound, but can't figure out why she's so droopy...

5. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    My hen's the same. Brought her in yesterday and today. Does anyone know what dosage do you do anti-biotics in the injection or water? It's her 3rd or 4th day really droopy, and can't afford a vet. I only have 3 girls and lost 2 in the spring. I don't want a repeat....

6. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be anything and it's hard to figure it out sometimes. I would possibly suspect worms. Is her poop normal, or watery? If it is watery, then perhaps worms. Seperate her so you can see her poo and what her feed and water consumption are. May be an internal issue such as cardiac that you just will not be able to help. Good luck and I hope she turns a corner.

7. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Success! Someone in mentioned them liking orange jello (color and tatse) when they won't drink water. I add a bit of punch gatorade powder and she's drinking!

8. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    After more research, I'm pretty sure she has worms. Will de-worm tomorrow and see how she does.... and the rest of the flock...

9. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Be sure to give a broad spectrum wormer and treat everyone in the flock if they have not been wormed. Be sure not to eat the eggs for the withdrawal period listed on the product. Good luck!

10. HollidaySmith

HollidaySmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Peru, Indiana
    Quote:Nancypo, I was told that chickens under a year old don't molt. Something else may be going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by