1. corgiscatsandchickens

corgiscatsandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    Before I posted this, I did a search on lethargic hen, but nothing I read matched up with the problem, so now it's time to als the experts--you guys!

Lizzie is one of our flock of seven 30 week old Barred Rocks. Yesterday she was fine, this afternoon she's very lethargic. I don't know if she's been like this all day or not since we've been gone most of the day. I took some yogurt out to them and she wasn't interested in it. Just ate a nibble and walked away and stood by herself looking like she was falling asleep. I tried cranberries, and she ate one, but acted like it was too much trouble to eat more.

Her crop is empty, but I palpated her and she doesn't appear to be egg bound. She doesn't feel overly hot or cold to the touch, her vent area is clean, no signs of abnormal poops in the house or run. We use deep litter method, but there is no buildup of ammonia fumes or anything that would contribute to a problem. No mites, and they've all had lots of pumpkin the last few days. No signs of worms in poo. No wheezing, no sinus issues. In short, she seems normal except for the lethargy.

It's been warm but windy here today. The only unusual thing is someone, I don't k.ow who, didn't lay an egg today, and someone laid a really huge egg that I think is a double yolker. She was our first to lay, and has always laid like clockwork since. Could she just be worn out from the enormous egg if she is the one who laid it, or should I be concerned?

Really appreciate all the help you can give.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well, if she looks sick, I would treat for coccidiosis, that's most common.
    Alot of my hens are having big time molt and walk slow, stay away from the others, and don't eat very well, they get skinny.
    Are you using wormers other than Wazine? Wazine only kills roundworms.

It doesn't sound like she "caught" anything, no other sick birds around.

I had one hen who was sleepy all the time, she died from heart failure.

That's all I can think about right now. I hope she gets better.

3. corgiscatsandchickens

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    Haven't used any wormers other than pumpkin. Could she have cociddiosis (sp?) Even
    though she was started as a chick on medicated feed?

And sorry about the multiple posts, not sure how that happened.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  4. corgiscatsandchickens

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    I should add that she put herself to bed as usual tonight beside our roo, but that when we went out to shut the henhouse as usual, when everybody jumped off the roost for one last bite of food and one last drink, she jumped down, went over to the waterer, but didn't drink. Then she went over to the feeder, had a nibble, but wouldn't eat, then went back up to the roost beside the roo.

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I personally (me) would not rely on pumpkin seeds for worming. I would use something like valbazen or safeguard or panacur. It may be cheap to get a stool sample and take it to any vet (it's not rocket science to look for worms), and see if there's a problem.

With cocci, it's just a guess. She would normally be past the age of vulnerability.
    Did you check her for mites?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  6. corgiscatsandchickens

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    That's easy enough to take to the vet. How do I get th

e stool sample? Gloved finger in the vent? Or should I just follow her around until she poops? Or are you meaning just take some random fresh stool samples from the run on the idea that if she has worms, others do too.

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I really appreciate your help!

7. corgiscatsandchickens

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    And yes, I did check for mites. No sign of any.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Ha ha, pretty funny. They poop pretty often, if you keep her confined for a bit, you'll find some poo. It's best to get the poo of the symptomatic one. I hope this will be an easy solve.

9. corgiscatsandchickens

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    Thanks seminolewind. I'll confine her in a dog crate tomorrow, get some poop, take it to the vet, and take it from there. I hope I'm overreacting. I call her my "stoner chick" because she's always calm, always good natured, always half a bubble off center, never gets upset about anything, and stays munchy. Hope today was just an off day for her. Will do everything you say. Really appreciate it.

10. corgiscatsandchickens

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    :weeeThe little nuisance is perfectly normal today![​IMG]

After nothing in her crop yesterday, and looking like she was falling asleep standing up, no eating or drinking, NOW she's up and running around with everyone else, begging cranberries, pecking at some of the logs in the run, doing all the normal Lizzie stuff.

I will watch her closely, and will still take a poop sample to the vet (best vet ever--if it's a critter, he's willing to give it a try) but....

[​IMG] yay Lizzie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by