lethargic hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by woodmore chicks, Dec 27, 2011.

1. woodmore chicks

woodmore chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    I have a 9 month old blue orpington hen that is acting very lethargic. Normally she is on of the most active birds (of 10) when feeding. She lays regularly too. Today I found her laying in the floor of the coop sleeping. I let them out to stretch and feed and she only went out after I woke her. A little while later she was back inside laying down again. I'm still new to chickens so I don't know if I should be concerned or not. This is a sudden development.

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    That can mean lots of things... could you answer these questions:
    What's her poo like? Is it normal or has it changed?
    Is she still laying?
    When she goes to sleep is her head tucked around backwards or pulled into her chest?
    Is there any discharge around her nostrils, eyes or vent?
    Is their any rattling or wheezing when she breaths?
    Is she eating properly?
    Is she free range?
    When did you last worm her?

Good luck! [​IMG] I hope she's ok!

3. woodmore chicks

woodmore chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Quote:I cant tell you what her poo looks like, there are 10 birds in a 10x10 coop. She is not laying, and her head is turned around backwards when she is sleeping/resting. Her breathing seems very heavy and maybe a rattle.. She is not eating like she was (constantly). The birds are let out of there coop as much as possible, at least 2-3 hours a day. None of these birds have ever been wormed. This just started today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by