1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lethargic hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ole rooster, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I have a hen that has been my favorite one, she's just so friendly. I'm having a problem with her I don't know what's wrong. About 3 days ago she started staying away from the others, but when they move she would move with them but very slowly and way behind. When she stops she kinda balls up and just stands in one spot. I've thought about her being egg bound or her craw was packed. But I have 10 hens and 2 days ago I got 10 eggs. Any ideas anyone?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Check her crop and see if it's enlarged first thing in the morning before she eats. Open the hens mouth by gently pinching the beak open as you cradle her with one arm and see if it smells foul. Holding a finger in between the upper and lower beak will keep the mouth open. Place the bird in a separate,comfortable area with food and water and see if she drinks and eats. Observe the hen's dropping and describe them the best you can. Here's a range of normal to abnormal: http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

If there are no crop problems or foul smell coming from the mouth, I have some med recommendations. Much depends on more information from you.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by