Lethargic Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eric23, Oct 17, 2013.

1. eric23

eric23 New Egg

Feb 22, 2011
    I have 8 32 month old Bared Rock hens. I noticed about a week ago that one was a little slow and her tail was drooping. I noticed 2 days ago that she was sleeping on the ground. She tried to get on the roost but did not have enough strength. Yesterday evening I brought her inside. Her crop was empty. I put her in some warm water thinking she was egg bound. Further examination proved this was not the case. She did not mind soaking in the water however. Her poop has been green and watery and you could see it on her feathers. After the bath, I gave her some yogurt. I was able to get a little of it down but she did not seem too interested in it. I then dipped her beak in some water with electrolytes. She drank some, but wasn’t too interested in it either. I then scattered some food (I give them Layena Crumbles) on the ground and she did peck at a few. I also gave her a few dried mealworms and she pecked at those also and walked around slowly. Her comb is red and her eyes look OK. Am I missing anything? Any other suggestions on what I could do??

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure what is wrong with her. You could try worming her, as lethargy is one symptom of a worm infestation. Safeguard or Valbazen would be two dewormers that you could try.

Its possible that it is Coccidiosis. When one of my hens (she was older than yours--around seven months old) started acting droopy, inactive, and lethargic, I treated her for Coccidiosis. Its been several months, and she acts perfectly normal and healthy. The treatment for Coccidosis is Corid, either the powder or liquid.

Her green droppings are probaly because she isn't eating enough. I'd try to get her to eat, as otherwise she'll continue to get weaker. See if she wants to eat any scrambled eggs, or try to drip some egg yolk on her beak. Some chickens also like moistened chicken feed or applesauce.

3. conniesnow

conniesnow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    alabama
    Hello.....I'm new on bycs.......i have been following this site for a while now.......I have a silky hen doing the same as above......already dewormed.........done the corid......and now doing tylan 50 oraly last two days......no change.....can anyone help?

4. conniesnow

conniesnow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    alabama
    Hello again...I posted earlier about my little silky hen.being lethargic....thought I'd try again....she is about a yr old........she hasnt layed yet.......thought it might be cocidia....gave her corid 7 days..didn't help....thought maybe worms...gave her wizaine.....she then pooped a red poo.......dont knowvwhat that was..........she didn't get any better........so now she has been on tylane 50 last two days oraly...shes eating a little on her own...she is eating crumbles wet down and drinky moe than eating...she is still lethargic.....any other suggestions on what i could do for her or what else it may be......sorry so long...but tried to give as much info as possible.....thanks in advance...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by