1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ms Doolittle, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Ms Doolittle

Ms Doolittle New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    We have 50 red sexlinks, all have been thriving and laying well through a Canadian winter - except one. I noticed her to be fluffed up, tucked in and inactive in the coop. She did move off the roost during the day and back on at night - but that was about it. I finally brought her in as I felt she might perish in the cold in her condition. Inside she was a bit more alert, but not much desire to eat or drink. Tried treats like meal worms and veggies but no luck. I tried her back in the coop yesterday - she briefly showed interest in food and water but then hunkered down in a nesting box. I took her out today - very lethargic and no eating or drinking. I am guessing we have probably lost her, but in case these symptoms should arise with another hen another time, would like to know if anyone has any insight? We have just had hens since we got them as day olds in May. Until now all has went great!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. If I were you, I would treat her for coccidiosis and worm her. She has many of the signs of cocci, and that is best treated with amprol (Corid) and in Canada, it will need to be purchased at any veterinarian's office. Worming should be done with fenbendazole or levamisole, which may be available as goat or cattle wormer in a feed store, or through the vet. For now until you get medicine, I would give her some buttermilk soaked bread crumbs, or electrolyte water.

3. Ms Doolittle

Ms Doolittle New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    Thanks for your advice. We'll get on to that. I am assuming that the entire flock should be wormed? I know some wormers can be tough on the system with some animals - should we wait until the weather is not quite as severe for the flock? She doesn't want to eat or drink. Can you force feed a hen? I am very familiar with all my furry creatures - hens are a whole new ball game! Loving it but just inexperienced!

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Safeguard is a wormer that is very gentle. Trust me, if your hens are loaded with worms, the worms are causing way more damage to your hens than Safeguard will.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  5. Ms Doolittle

Ms Doolittle New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by