1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Lethargic, large crop, one eye closed, shivering, hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Steve1960, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Steve1960

Steve1960 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Lawrence, KS
    I just noticed a hen with one eye closed, just standing around. At first I thought she was sleeping, but when I approached she moved and I noticed one eye closed. From time to time she would open it, then close it back. I picked her up and she was shivering a little and her crop feels really large. I picked up another hen and her crop seems much smaller and lower on her body. The other one won't extend her neck when I sqeeze gently on her crop.
    The eye looks okay - no swelling, puss, etc, just closed. Otherwise she looks fine. She's a 9 week old Dominique.

Any idea's?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Isolate her in a warm spot. Put vitamins/electrolytes in her water. Try to feed her some yogurt. Keep an eye on her droppings - what do they look like?

And wash your hands before and after handling her and any other animals.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  3. Steve1960

Aug 5, 2008
    Lawrence, KS
    I haven't seen droppings yet. I went back out after posting and she was actually standing in the yard sleeping. I put her in the coop, but she came back out to be with the flock.
    Just fyi - I feed them fresh ground organc feed, and they free range. They eat lots of grass, bugs, frogs and occassionally a little sweet corn and tomatoes.

I'll isolate her and see how her doppings look.

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    You might try a couple drops of oil and a massage to get that crop unpacked. Keep us posted.

5. Steve1960

Aug 5, 2008
    Lawrence, KS
    What type of oil would you use, and would you squirt it down her throat?

6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I'd use eyedropper to gently squeeze into her beak.
    Any vegetable oil should be fine, I'm thinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by