Lethargic, liquid coming out of mouth, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rcentner, Jul 1, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Janis, mixed breed hen
    I guess 2 -3 years old
    No egg in atleast a week
    Lethargy of 2-3 days
    eating cracked corn in the morning, idk if she is eating any layena or drinking (I have been working all week)
    Clear liquid comes out of mouth and almost always seems a little moist
    shook her head and quite a bit came out
    crop empty at roosting time today
    not as talkative
    no injuries noted
    have not smelled fluid
    normal comb & wattles (maybe a slight bit more red?)
    Does get up and move around, but most of the time I see her sleeping.
    Saw her sunning herself the other day
    Not social, but she never is

Want to treat myself and have access to feline medicines

What, if anything, do I do?
    I dewormed with wazine on Tuesday, but I was wondering if she even got any of it if she didn't drink. I do have ivermectin tubes for the horses...should I use that? and how much?
    1st deworming since Fall '09
    I have added vitamins to the water, but once again, is she drinking?
    I will be working tomorrow too and am only around early AM and after they roost in the PM. Saturday I will know for sure if she is drinking or not.

I watched her for a few hours yesterday and gave her a look over:
    the mouth does have an odor, but I have never smelled chicken breath before. Kinda smelled fishy
    I got her to eat a little scrambled egg
    no pooping
    dried poop stuck on bum
    She looks fine in the morning, but throughout the day she is very sleepy and I have not seen her drink or poop.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    what has the temperature been in your area, It sounds like my hens when it is hot out and they just drank a bunch of water. If her crop is empty at coop time sounds like she is not eating much. I would make up some scrambled eggs and yogurt and give that to her. Maybe try and isolate her from the others and see if she is eating and drinking. hopefully someone with more knowledge will post soon god luck.

3. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    it's actually been colder here for a few days now, only up to 70 degrees F. I was just trying to think of what I have she might like to eat, she wasn't all that fond of bread yesterday (pretty strange), I hope it's just that she needed to be dewormed and will recover. This is my DH's favorite bird and we have already had to separate her once last year cause the other hens were picking on her badly. Turned out she wasn't eating and I had to fatten her back up. Last time I had some suet

4. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    anyone? think she might be egg bound? Can I do a rectal on a chicken? Will it hurt her to sit her in a bath if it's not egg bound? I really do'nt want to watch her waste away but don't know what to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by