lethargic little bantam chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by binabina, Nov 13, 2016.

1. binabina

binabina New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    Agnes Water, Australia
    Hi all, I'm a new chicken mum and got 6 7-8 week old bantam Cochin frizzles about 2 1/2 weeks ago. They're doing great except the youngest one. Two days ago it went really lethargic, just sitting asleep, no scratching, just the odd pick for food. She ( we're just assuming it's a hen and we called her Eggy because she's so little) is actually a lot smaller than all the others and only eats when I take her inside. I manage to get drops of water into her little break but she's just not getting any better. I really need some help :-/

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Build a little cage out of hardware cloth for her so she can be with the rest of her flock, but not get picked on. Make it big enough for her food and water, but small enough so the she doesn't need to move around much. If she still doesn't act any better, isolate her completey and keep her stress free. It's hard diagnosing diseases, especially in chicks, but keep a close eye on the rest of them.
    Hope she gets better!

1 person likes this.
  3. Sony57

Sony57 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2014
    My immediate thought goes to coccidiosis. How do the stools look? If there is any hint of blood, if so, then it is likely cocci...which is extremely common. Are you able to take a stool sample to an avian vet? Personally, (not a vet), If I saw blood in the stool I would treat for cocci immediately.

I agree with PeepersMama that you should isolate her to ensure she doesn't get pecked on and also to reduce the spread if there is something contagious. If it turns out to be Coccidiosis, it is treatable, you can get corrid at a local tractor supply.

4. binabina

binabina New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    Agnes Water, Australia
    It's really weird... She's walking around now, eating and drinking with the others. Still a bit slow but right amongst them. I'll get corridor just in case but I'll monitor her closely over the next few hours and see how she goes.
    Thank you so much for all the awesome support and advice... I'll keep you posted

5. Sony57

Sony57 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2014
    Yeah, it sounds weird lol! The smaller/younger they are the more sleep they need. I remember watching my babies play then almost narcolepsily (so not a word) fall a asleep. Perhaps its due to her young age, but be careful and monitor her and make sure she is eating and drinking regularly. Please update this post too,you never know who may be looking at it in the future needing advice...the outcomes make a huge difference. Learning from experiences, our own and others, is what makes this site great!

6. binabina

binabina New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    Agnes Water, Australia
    This morning Eggy swapped her little chicken wings for a pair of very little angel wings and flew home <3
    Although she was getting medication and I isolated her from the others she got weaker and weaker... I'm sure she's better where she is now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by