Lethargic, lying on her side...

Kerrie Williams

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2016
My chicken (approx. 1 and a half year old) was 100% looking/acting normal till late yesterday, then we noticed her sitting or lying on her side in the middle of the yard and turning her head to the side. She will still move on her own if startled but then lays back down again and can turn her head back around but there again she just turns it to the side again. She has lost interest in scratch and worms their favorite late afternoon treat. I haven't seen her eat but she tried a little bit this morning but kept missing. I have dropper fed some water, brought her inside, warm bath, and blown dry, then let her be in kennel with a heater near by. Any Suggestions??

It is possible she got into some poison or toxin. It could be insect poison, leaking fluid from machinery, mushrooms, toxic insects, or moldy or rotten food, or flaky lead paint chips from old siding. These can cause brain damage so it's difficult for the chicken to stand and walk.

The only treatment is vitamins to help repair the cerebral damage, and it may or may not help. Give her vitamin E with selenium, and B-complex. Also make sure she has fresh clean water, and you might try some boiled egg, soft or hard boiled.

Back
Top Bottom