Lethargic month old chick that keeps shaking her head

coralbell7

Chirping
Apr 21, 2016
Rhode Island
I have seven 4 week old chicks. When I went to check on them this morning I found one of my Plymouth chicks just standing there with her eyes closed while the others are alert and wreaking havoc.
She stands there, lethargic, fluffed out her feathers with her eyes closed and shakes her head frequently. I put her in front of the water and she took a sip but has not eaten. No pasty butt and there's electrolytes mixed with the water that came with the starter kit we purchased.
I am brand new with chickens and could really use some help

What do her droppings look like? She could be suffering from possible coccidiosis, which is a common illness in chicks up to 20 weeks old. Symptoms are lethargy, standing hunched or puffed up, not eating, runny droppings with blood or mucus. Corid (amprollium) in the water is the treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1/2 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5 days. Afterward, give chicken vitamins and some plain yogurt for a few days. Until you can get Corid from a feed store cattle section, someone needs to feed her water with electrolytes by dipping her beak or giving it with a syringe or dropper. Pedialyte, Gatorade, or sugar water will do in a pinch. She could just be dehydrated, or something else may be wrong, but with chicks her age, coccidiosis can be deadly.

What do her droppings look like? She could be suffering from possible coccidiosis, which is a common illness in chicks up to 20 weeks old. Symptoms are lethargy, standing hunched or puffed up, not eating, runny droppings with blood or mucus. Corid (amprollium) in the water is the treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1/2 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5 days. Afterward, give chicken vitamins and some plain yogurt for a few days. Until you can get Corid from a feed store cattle section, someone needs to feed her water with electrolytes by dipping her beak or giving it with a syringe or dropper. Pedialyte, Gatorade, or sugar water will do in a pinch. She could just be dehydrated, or something else may be wrong, but with chicks her age, coccidiosis can be deadly.
Thank you so much. I've been reading up on Coccidiosis. My DH is getting the Corid first thing in the morning. We're going to treat the whole flock also as a precaution. Her stools are not bloody .....yet. I have been moving the water to her and she will take a few sips and she will also eat from my hand but its not near as much as what she used to eat. Poor little girl! I feel so bad for her. I'll try to give her more water with a syringe. Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom