1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic, no appetite, any ideas??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by curerbell, Sep 16, 2012.

1. curerbell

curerbell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    Four chickens, all 3 years old, one is ok, the other three are a worry...one started to moult, lost a lot of feathers then lost use of one leg, is hopping a lot now but is able to move other leg and stand on it, and feathers are growing back. The second had egg peritonitis and had an operation to remove the mess inside, that was two months ago, the other is very lethargic, used to be so full of life, always digged for worms but now, they just sit around for most of the day, don't get excited when you take out food, they are eating very very little and we've been trying every food possible. Our vet says it's Mareks disease yet one chicken is unaffected, we're using Tylan in the water and put the water over most of the food we give. They will pick on lettuce, bread, seeds...but it's really small. Digging in the garden one will even refuse a worm it sees, just picks it up then drops it. They look depressed. Does anyone else think it's Mareks or have any other ideas? Anyone had something similar? It's just really depressing seeing them like this and A LOT of work to keep giving them foods we think they'll take. Please feel free to ask any questions...

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

When we're they last wormed? What was used? Parasites can make them weak, lose weight, go off feed..... Even limp because of being weak and the body using its own muscle to maintain itself. Mareks is not as likely in a three year old bird... But possible, especially if you brought in any new birds....

3. curerbell

Aug 5, 2012
    Used Vermex a few months ago, herbal remedy pellets, although there's no guarantee they actually ate them all... Would you recommend something else? No worms have been noticed in their poo. Yes three years old, problems have only really started in the last few months, but as I said, one is un-affected and we haven't had any new birds in the last three years... Thanks for the reply.

4. jasille2

jasille2 New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Hello!! I typed in these exact symptoms in my search!! Please tell me what happened to your hen. My girl has been like this for a week now and I can't afford to take her to the vet! :(

5. curerbell

Aug 5, 2012
    You know, this was a long time ago now, I'm having difficulty remembering the details. It may have been Mareks disease, three of the chickens died within months of each other, we had two put down by the vet, including the one who lost use of one leg (which was more than likely Mareks) Ideally you do need to get some vet advice, luckily for me I have two great ones here in Swansea, Wales, yes it costs but many owners are more than happy to pay if they mean so much. Other than vet advise I can only advise the basics, worming possibly? Clean water, and perseverance with different foods, sweet corm, seeds, pasta, grated cheese, rice, meal worms... Difficult I know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by