lethargic not eating

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
20 week old gold brabanter.
Not laying yet.

Wen out to feed and water, picked tiki up. She just kind of flopped back against me upside down and stayed there. I set her up and tried to get her to sit on my arm and she almost fell off. When I picked her up she was just standing there hunched over, didn't react at all when the other two chickens left the run to forage in the yard.
She's. Always been a light weight thing but she's almost emaciated. You can feel all of the bones in her chest and pelvis now.
I mixed up her favorite treat, oatmeal, milk, applesauce, and yogurt. She's ignoring it.
I opened a can of cat food, she ignored it.
She's laying on my duaughters lap covered up sleeping.

She's always been very docile, she was a runt and I didn't expect her to live.
My oldest daughter, 17and autistic, slept with her, babied her, and I believe its because of Kim that tiki lived.
I will be going to get her some electrolytes. In a bit.
All the poop I can see in the coop and run looks normal. No signs of injury.
Suggestions? Antibiotics?
All the others are fine we have her isolated in the house

Having the same exact problem. This is the third time this summer. The first two were three year-old golden comets that I inherited, and now my four month-old cochin is having this issue. The first two died within days of finding them in this condition, and being very new to the chicken "thing", I didn't know what to do to help the first two. Still not sure, but I'm hoping the yogurt and isolation might help "Willie" out of this situation. Any help from some of you experienced people will be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
It's driving me crazy that there aren't really any symptoms. If she's still hanging in there tomorrow I may try a course of antibiotics

It's driving me crazy that there aren't really any symptoms. If she's still hanging in there tomorrow I may try a course of antibiotics

I tried tetracycline (sp?) on two of my chickens after the last death, and not sure if it had an impact or not but the two chickens that I dosed lived. The only exhibit of illness in either of them was a messy vent area on one of them - so they may not have ever gotten sick anyway. Sure wish I knew what this was all about. The one that's sick right now is chattering and has created a sort of nest for herself and took a bit of yogurt, so may be alive in the am. More to follow .... Thx for discussing this with me!​

Back
Top Bottom