Lethargic odd behaviour???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dottielottie, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Dottielottie

Dottielottie Hatching

Feb 4, 2019
    help, I only have 4 chickens and right now they are giving me a run for my money, yesterday I woke to find chicken lethargic and in discomfort, so after reading about possible egg bound I gave her a warm bath for 20 mins and then put her away from the others and for around 15 mins she improved no end, but then seemed much the same however she had eaten, this morning she seemed a little brighter but still not quite right so I placed her in quarantine with my other hen with a broken leg but not in same crate, now she seems brighter but still not quite right, in fact she is behaving like she is nesting, sitting in the crate picking bits of straw for her nest and putting them around her, intermittently getting up and down???
    The first video is her yesterday and the second today also poo from today, please advise, thank you.
    I can’t seem to upload the videos, it said file too big?

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you take that or some other droppings to a vet for a fecal float? I think I would start some Corid (amprollium) to treat for possible coccidiosis. The liquid or powder can be found at most feed stores in the cattle medicines. Dosage is 2 tsp of Corid liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of Corid powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

How old is your hen? Can you insert a finger one inch into her vent to feel for a stuck egg? Has she been laying normal eggs recently? Has you recent behavior seemed like she could be going broody? Feel of her crop to see if it is soft, hard, or puffy. Her crop should be empty and flat early in the morning before she eats and drinks, and it not, there is a crop problem.

3. Dottielottie

Dottielottie Hatching

Feb 4, 2019
    Would Flubenvet work?

4. Dottielottie

Dottielottie Hatching

Feb 4, 2019
    She is aroun 18 months old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: