Lethargic on day one

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PDXStrong, Mar 6, 2015.

1. PDXStrong

PDXStrong Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2015
    PDX
    Is it normal for chicks the lay around a bit on the first day home from the store? They seem to be eating and drinking. But each time I check on them they are just chillin' in the pine. Perhaps they are cold or in shock?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Hi, welcome to our flock! [​IMG] the chicks could be a little shocky. If they were cold they would probably be chirping loudly and hanging out right under the heat lamp. Maybe they are too warm? Do you have a brooder thermometer and enough room for them to get away from heat? What is the floor temp under the light and the farthest area from it? You could also put electrolytes in the water to stabilize them. [​IMG]

3. PDXStrong

PDXStrong Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2015
    PDX
    Floor temp was a good call. My garage is not finished and it is Cold in there, Especially the floor. I have since moved them into the spare room in my house. I think that's where they will be for a couple weeks. They seem to be doing better. Thanks for the tip!

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    do you have a heat lamp on them? what's the temp in the brooder? please ignore all the people who post 'throw the thermometer away'......while I do agree the chicks actions will tell how they're doing, if you are totally clueless whether it's 60 or 110 in the brooder you'll have no idea what they need, esp the first few days to a week.

Yeah I know, some like it hot, some like it cooler, but you need to know about where it is. Proving that point is you didn't realize it was too cool on the garage floor.....just sayin

5. PDXStrong

PDXStrong Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2015
    PDX
    I do have a thermometer. They are now at a comfortable 95 degrees.

6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by