Lethargic, pale comb, diarehea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KristinaE, Dec 25, 2014.

1. KristinaE

KristinaE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    I am a first-time chicken raiser with a sick hen. I noticed yesterday that one of my hens wasn't as energetic yesterday, but didn't think much of it.

Today when I went to give the ladies their breakfast mash I noticed that her comb was much, much paler than usual, her energy level was very low (she usually runs away when approached, but today she let me handle her), and that she didn't have much appetite. Her crop seemed empty, though she was standing next to the layer pellet hopper. When I brought the mash she didn't head over for her share as usual.

Upon inspecting the coop I noticed white diarehea on the perch, and when I checked the hen she had the same watery white stool streaking the feathers around her vent.

My pullets are 26 weeks old, and all have started laying except for this one. at the moment all the others seem fine and happy with normal big appetites. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong with my hen, and what I can do? Unfortunatly it is Christmas Day so my vet and store options are minimal. :(

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have Corid (amprollium or Ampromed) I would start her on it to treat for possible coccidiosis. I would also recommend worming her today with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid or Paste 1/2 ml given orally, then repeat in 10 days. Do a close inspection of her for signs of mites on her skin since that can cause anemia. Take a rubber glove, and check inside her vent 1-2 inches with a finger to search for a stuck egg. Offer her some scrambled egg and add some electrolytes to her water. Bring her inside in a cage or box to keep her warm. She could have a variety of things that could be wrong, but this is a place to start. White diarrhea is significant for a large amount of urates, but she may not have a lot of stool in her dropping. Sometimes they can get a gizzard blockage from eating something that won't pass.

3. KristinaE

Feb 27, 2014
    Thank you for your reply! Unfortunatly I do not have any Corid to hand (kicking myself for that) but I will get it tomorrow, and hopefully she will still be with us.

No sign of mites or lice, and I will check for a bound egg soon. I palpated the abdomen but don't know exactly what I am feeling for.

I've quarantined her in a warm spot, and have made electrolyte water and scrambled eggs availible. She has been drinking the water of her own free choice, but after a drink she stands and pants very heavily with her beak open for several minutes before going for more water.

Update 1 hour later: she is panting with a wide open beak constantly now, and her wings are droopy and completely limp. She will not take any food.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  4. KristinaE

Feb 27, 2014
    She passed about half an hour ago. She want from standing and panting to convulsions to lying on her side in moments. My husband and I decided to ease her suffering, but she passed on her own in the fifteen minutes we used to gather supplies. I assume I should treat the remaining five hens for coccidiosis, just in case?

5. traceyj

traceyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Just came on here to say the exact same symptoms, my girl was gasping for air after diarrhoea and unable to stand for a couple of days. I had to help her along and it was very hard to do. Never done it before and not how I wanted to spend Christmas Day. Also need to know if I need to treat the rest of them (I have 8 left) and just mucked it out but assuming I need to disinfect whole coop?
    Very sad.
    Sorry for your loss kristinaE, are you near the bird flu outbreak in lower BC? I checked the symptoms but it didn't seem to match.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you notice any signs of lethargy, poor appetite, extreme weakness, or any blood in the stool, then I would treat them. Your hen could have had something not contageous, but just watch them closely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by