Lethargic Pekin Hen with Stiff Walk

PracticalDucks

Hatching
Aug 24, 2016
I have a 4-year-old white Pekin hen who has recently developed a stiff walk. She has always had a bit of a hobble, but it has grown worse over the past few days. She lays down whenever possible and it is noticeably difficult and painful for her to walk. She stopped laying eggs about two weeks ago and has since begun molting heavily (more so than is usual for her). I have checked for Bumblefoot and have ruled that out. She is fed a 50-50 mix of cracked corn and a generic laying mix, as well as foraging. Today, I started putting Niacin and a multi-vitamin in her water (100mg/gal). She is kept with one drake (same age), who shows none of these symptoms. Any ideas?

I would cut way back on the corn.

My first thoughts about what it could be - arthritis, joint infection, egg-laying system problem, maybe egg yolk peritonitis.

There is, I feel, some kind of inflammation and that list above is some possible causes. A good duck vet - even a reasonable vet willing to try to help you, can prescribe metacam or other anti-inflammatory, and you can have her looked over to see if there are clues about possible infections.

I would make sure she gets plenty of time floating in water to take pressure off of her legs. You could try Epsom salt compresses (it is a laxative, don't let her ingest any Epsom salt) followed by T-Relief ointment (available at some drugstores).

Adding turmeric to her food (it does stain, be warned) may also help reduce inflammation.

Back
Top Bottom