Lethargic Pekkin Chicken, Sleeps while standing

kikiri

Hatching
Apr 17, 2018
Hello! I've been worried about my year old hen, starting today I've noticed she's been really sluggish! Her comb seems paler than usual, I had found her in the morning by the door of the coop just sitting there. I picked her up, found a fresh egg but noticed her vent is a bit dirty. The egg itself I noticed is a lot paler in color than the usual as well, when I put her down she walked slowly back in the same spot and sat down until I moved her again. She's now currently under my mandarin tree and hasn't moved since.
I've tried feeding her her favorite treats to get her active, she pecks at the food and treats for a bit, but then starts to doze off. Her droppings seem watery and her crop feels a bit like a water balloon. Not sure if the weather has something to do with this, it's been awfully windy here these past 2 days with a sudden drop in temperature! So far she's the only hen of mine acting this way, I'm just hoping it's nothing too serious since where I live there aren't any vets that treat birds of any kind.
IMG_ki9mv9.jpg

Best thing you can do is to isolate her and keep her warm and quiet until you solve the mystery of what is wrong. It will also allow you monitor her food and water intake and watch for other symptoms. Water is more important than food at this point, so keep her hydrated.
A squishy crop doesn't sound healthy. I'd look into sour crop and how to treat it. It may not be the problem, but treating for it won't hurt. Sometimes it's as simple as giving some probiotics or a little plain yogurt that contains active cultures to fix the problem. Sometimes it is more involved, but you can start there and see if it helps.

TwoCrows has a very thorough article on crop problems.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom