Lethargic pet hen- not egg bound that I can find

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by skylarms, Feb 26, 2013.

1. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Symptoms-

Mopey
    not eating much
    not drinking
    crouched down look
    constant puckering/ unpuckering of vent.
    Cant feel an egg ( I even "went in" and couldnt feel one)
    vent is empty, no poop although after her "exam" she did produce some very liquidy, yellow stool

The rest of the flock is more than fine and normal. I soaked her in warm water to see if maybe she was bound... nothing.... she is currently wrapped and a towel being dried off and warmed by my daughter. my daughter is VERY attached to this chicken, Sunnyside. Anything we can do we will. We have no bird vets in the area so unless someone knows a vet in the king/pierce county are of Washington state, a vet isnt an option at this point.She will be put on Tylan as a precaution but any advice? I've been looking through many threads but havent found just the right answer. Thanks!!

2. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    One of the other hens is the same way now...

3. ChickadeeRanch

ChickadeeRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    i wish i could help...this comment will bump it to the top though so that may help

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They need to come inside where it's warm.

Can you post a picture of their poop?

5. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    How old is the hen?

6. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Both hens will be two may fifth. They are inside. I will try to attach a picture of their coop but they free range during the day.

7. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Poop, not coop! I'll get on it. I had to leave for work and am on my way to them now.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They need to be in your house, the cold will kill them.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FWIW, I'm in CA, which is warmer than WA, and when mine are sick, they don't stay outside. I know that bringing them inside is not something that everyone can do, but it is the right thing to do.

10. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    They have been in since I discovered the problem. My daughter will barely leave her side. I'm not sure how I'm going to get her to bed......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by