Lethargic Phoenix Rooster need advice

drogers81

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2018
Mountain Home, Arkansas
I have a golden duckwing phoenix rooster, he is about 5.5 months old. He had been active, crowing, mating, just perfectly fine and healthy. Then 4 days ago I saw him over by himself, and he was very lethargic, just moving in slow motion almost. I didn't think anything of it and thought he would get better, but this is day 4, and he is still the same and just stands there. His wings are drooping. All the other birds are perfectly fine, and I dust for mites regularly. Since I've never experienced this before, I was wondering if he might have gotten bit by a venomous spider or snake? I do let them free range.

He is still eating and drinking, but I can just tell something is wrong and it seems like he does have diarrhea. I checked his feces yesterday, and it was like a runny/pasty really light yellow. I haven't noticed any foul odors coming from him.

Any ideas on what I could give him, or what it could be?

Photos of his poop and of how he looks may be helpful.
How long have you had him?
What type of food/treats do you feed?

Take several stool samples to your vet for testing if possible. Check his crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before he eats/drinks.
Inspect him very well for any injuries and lice/mites. I would also separate him and provide supportive care, offering poultry vitamins, his normal feed along with some extra protein like egg, tuna.

Back
Top Bottom