Lethargic Polish Cockerel

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dacasodivine, Jun 24, 2008.

1. dacasodivine

dacasodivine Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2008
    He's only 3 or 4 months. I have noticed for the last couple of days that he's been a bit lethargic and will stand with his wings out and down. I chalked it up to the hot and humid weather.

This morning I realized I haven't heard him crow in a couple of days. He is now in a crate in my livingroom. I didn't think to check it comb. I'll do that when I get home.

His crop was empty so maybe the others aren't letting him eat? No discharge. No breathing problems. Just lethargic.

I have given him the children's vitamin drops that I can't think of the name for right now. He has fresh water and food. He was eating well when I left.

Before going to the store for wormer, which is what I've read others should do in this situation, is he old enough to need a wormer?

I have heard Polish chickens can be hard to raise so wondered if this might be something related to that.

Thanks

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Try giving him some cool yougurt. I have 2 polish and if they are hard to raise I haven't seen it in mine, they act the same as my other chickens. I have a rooster and a hen, she is quite docile and he's a sweet boy. [​IMG]

Hope he feels better soon and sorry I couldn't be of more help but maybe someone will come along who knows more than I [​IMG]

3. tomstephens

tomstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    Just a month or so ago one of my polish was acting really lethargic. I gave her a hair cut and she was back up and at it. She just couldn't see.
    No idea if it's the same for you but an idea.

4. dacasodivine

Feb 19, 2008
    Fox Moulder might very well have a vision problem. I hadn't really thought about that since this precocious boy was seen chasing and mating a hen just last week!

Here's a picture. It looks like his crest, or whatever it's called, is obscuring his vision. I gave him a trim right after the pic. I'm hoping that's enough. I really like his head all fuzzy!

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Danette

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  5. dacasodivine

Feb 19, 2008
    Okay, I'm having some issues posting a pic. I'll try again.

[​IMG]

6. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    I'd continue with the vitamin drops and get some electrolytes (durvet brand is good)..

not a bad idea to give him a little haircut..

describe his droppings..color and consistency.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  7. dacasodivine

Feb 19, 2008
    It looks like a haircut is all he needed. I could tell pretty quickly that he was more alert. I left him in the crate for a couple hours to get some food. I don't think he's been eating properly because he couldn't see the food in the dish and couldn't forage.

Once I put him outside, he acted more like his old self and he crowed this morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by