Lethargic, poofy and watery poop Rooster

fatbeamie

Chirping
Jul 2, 2019
Maryland
My rooster suddenly has become lethargic and acting strange, not interacting with the flock and when he does get too close the older Rooster will go after him. Which most people say isn't unusual, however I don't usually have that kind of issue with them, the younger rooster knows his place. He just stands in place for a long time then moves very slowly. He is drinking a lot of water and not eating too much. He's usually the first to the food/treat bowl when I set it out, but he pecked a little bit this morning but not much. He's all poofy around the neck area, I don't see any cuts or bleeding and he doesn't seem to have trouble breathing. His comb isn't very bright red like the others.
Henry 1.JPG
Henry 2.JPG
Henry and the flock.JPG
Henry poop.JPG
He is squirting out very watery poop. The other three don't seem to have any issues. I looked up symptoms and crop or sour crop or crop impact come up, but honestly, I'm not sure I can get a hold of him to check. Any insight would be appreciated!

If you have issues handling him, grab him at night. Give him a go over - look for any evidence of lice/mites etc.
I will give it a try, unfortunately we didn't think the coop through and the four of them sit across their bar with the two roos on either end, so I have to reach across one male and the two hens to get to him. Thank you!

I will give it a try, unfortunately we didn't think the coop through and the four of them sit across their bar with the two roos on either end, so I have to reach across one male and the two hens to get to him. Thank you!
They usually zone out a bit at night/after dark so hopefully they don’t get too crazy. Good luck. I hear ya - I need to renovate my coop too. Post-build-whydidwedothat-itis ;)

Are any other of the flock showing any signs or symptoms? If it’s mites (and don’t waste your time with DE on an active infestation - get the GOOD STUFF (permethrin based stuff)! It could be worse on him if he’s sickly.

Coccidiosis?? I’ve only had my flock for a year but I decided to reply that as a possibility for one reason—my vet was out here looking at my flock this morning and we discussed...you guessed it!!...coccidiosis. We are fecal testing my flock because, although they lack classic symptoms, he said coccidiosis can cause a very large range of all sorts of symptoms. I looked up the classic symptoms and they include abnormal poop, ruffled feathers, decrease in appetite, pale comb.....and more.
Not sure if that’s any help!
I hope your rooster is feeling better soon!!!

Coccidiosis?? I’ve only had my flock for a year but I decided to reply that as a possibility for one reason—my vet was out here looking at my flock this morning and we discussed...you guessed it!!...coccidiosis. We are fecal testing my flock because, although they lack classic symptoms, he said coccidiosis can cause a very large range of all sorts of symptoms. I looked up the classic symptoms and they include abnormal poop, ruffled feathers, decrease in appetite, pale comb.....and more.
Not sure if that’s any help!
I hope your rooster is feeling better soon!!!
Thank you, I saw Coccidiosis, but I thought it targeted young chicks , mine are about a year old. I haven't seen any of the symptoms from the other ones. It happened so quick, like one day he was fine and the next not. You're lucky you have a vet that works with Chickens, we don't have any out here.

They usually zone out a bit at night/after dark so hopefully they don’t get too crazy. Good luck. I hear ya - I need to renovate my coop too. Post-build-whydidwedothat-itis ;)

Are any other of the flock showing any signs or symptoms? If it’s mites (and don’t waste your time with DE on an active infestation - get the GOOD STUFF (permethrin based stuff)! It could be worse on him if he’s sickly.
None of the others are showing any signs. It happened so quick, one day he was fine, the next not. I've never heard of permethrin, I will get some. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom