Lethargic, puffed chicken. Please help me with a diagnosis.

GRB73

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
I have a 5.5 yo RIR who started standing in one place, very puffed. This was on Thursday afternoon. Before this, she was perfectly fine. Very active, running about the garden with her hen buddies. She has been on the thin side for the past few months but she is at the end of her molt and she never eats much during a molt.

Currently, she appears very fluffed with her tail pointed down (picture below). Her eyes and nostrils are clear. Breathing is quiet. No mites or lice that I can see. Her crop looks large to me, but she has had a "pendulous" crop for the last year or so. The crop feels empty but not squishy or hard. Her abdomen is firm but not hard. She still is eating and drinking, not much, and in small bites. Droppings are more liquid than solid. Yellowish urates with green solids. Occasionally she snoozes but she is mostly awake and aware. Stands more than sits. She hasn't been a regular layer for several years and hasn't laid an egg since July. She has been inside for the past two nights because it has been so cold. I bring her outside for an hour or two in the warmest part of the day and she sunbathes and grooms herself, which I hope is a good sign.

Can someone help me with this? I am stumped. I don't want her to suffer because she is such a friendly, sweet girl. I called four vets and the earliest appointment I can get is this Friday. Vets here are pushed to their limits because of the surge in pet ownership since the pandemic. My poor chicken is low on the list to be seen by one.

I am having her stools tested for parasites today. We've had a very warm, wet fall and summer so maybe this is the problem?

Any guidance from an experienced chicken owner would be very much appreciated.

Gail

Attachments

• Peps.jpg
    Peps.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Peps2.jpg
    Peps2.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 10
Her crop looks large to me, but she has had a "pendulous" crop for the last year or so. The crop feels empty but not squishy or hard.

She hasn't been a regular layer for several years and hasn't laid an egg since July.
Did you get the fecal float results?

Her hunched appearance reminds me of hens that are having reproductive issues. Since she's not laid eggs since July, she may have a reproductive disorder like Peritonitis, Cancer, Salpingitis (Lash Egg), Internal Laying, etc.

Work on hydrating her. The "pendulous" part of the crop - does it feel like it has water/feed in that? Have you ever tried a crop bra to support the crop to help it empty?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Her hunched appearance reminds me of hens that are having reproductive issues. Since she's not laid eggs since July, she may have a reproductive disorder like Peritonitis, Cancer, Salpingitis (Lash Egg), Internal Laying, etc.

Work on hydrating her. The "pendulous" part of the crop - does it feel like it has water/feed in that? Have you ever tried a crop bra to support the crop to help it empty?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Float test was negative. Still stumped...
I never heard of a crop bra.

Probably. Mine had coccidiosis, and it didn’t show on a test. Or at least the corid helped.
👇👇👇 Did you read my earlier post?

My girl passed last night. She is our first chicken loss and honestly, I don't know how people do this with large flocks of birds-- losing them over and over. I am devastated. I have lost many pets in my life but I am surprised how deeply I am grieving this spunky, curious little RIR. I kept her warm and clean in her last hours and I was with her when she made her passage.

She went south so quickly. By late morning she was passing bright green liquid and was flat, head down and eye closed. I had her examed by a friend who is a vet tech and other than the extreme lethargy, she was fine. The fecal test was clean, with no signs of coccidious. I think it was her time to go. She had been slowing down all summer, choosing to spend her time sitting in the shade, while her coop mates were out pecking and scratching. I think she did have reproductive problems. She was a very infrequent layer and the cap on her stools always had a faint yellowish tinge.

RIP Ms. Pepperpot March 16, 2016 - November 7, 2021

Back
Top Bottom