Lethargic, puffed feathers

DramaBrahmaMama

Songster
Mar 11, 2022
Knoxville, IA
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

I have an almost 6 week old Light Brahma that is acting lethargic and puffed up feathers, even on her head. We moved to coop from brooder 2 days ago. She has always seemed puffier then her 10 other mates, but now it seems extreme.
She just stands there and closes her eyes, then open.. and repeat. She's not laying down, just standing there. She will move when you try to reach for her.
I did not notice this behavior yesterday.
No other birds are acting like this.
No signs of trauma or injuries.
Checked vent and crop, all seem fine.
When I fed this morning, she was the only one that didn't come running. She just stood back, puffed up. I watched for at least 20 mins, didn't see her eat or drink. I also have not been able to see what her stool looks like. I did notice some watery poop that had a couple of brown solids in it. The rest I see looks to be normal.
We put the same bedding in their coop as was in their brooder.
It did drop down to low 40s and we had several bad thunderstorms yesterday. I turned on one of the heat lamps last night, and when I went to feed this morning no one was even near it.
They are on unmedicated start & grow, free feed.
They also get that same feed soaked into a mash a few times a day.
I added a bit of electrolytes to their water when we transferred them. And they also have regular water available.
They have grit available at all times.
They get meal worms as treats.
I tried to get a pic of her, but the others photo bombed me!

You could get Corid liquid or powder and treat for possible coccidiosis. It is safe for the others. Dosage is 10 ml (2tsp) of the liquid or 1.5 tap of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Make sure the chick drinks it. You can give an extra boost of undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound daily orally for the next few days. Do you have more than one feeder and waterer?

You could get Corid liquid or powder and treat for possible coccidiosis. It is safe for the others. Dosage is 10 ml (2tsp) of the liquid or 1.5 tap of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Make sure the chick drinks it. You can give an extra boost of undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound daily orally for the next few days. Do you have more than one feeder and waterer?
Is that a possibility with her being vaxd for it? Now she's sleeping, standing up, with her head under her wing. 😖 I tried to give her some yolk with electrolytes, in a dropper, she wouldn't take even a drop.

It is hard to know. When they are vaccinated, they vaccinate for the 5 most severe types, but some chickens do and can get coccidiosis even with a vaccine. You could medicate on her in a dog crate, since Corid (amprollium) will negate the vaccine. She could have something else wrong, but coccidiosis is common at this age. Electrolytes or tepid Gatorade can be offered, but if using Corid, do not give B vitamins. If not using Corid, give vitamins with electrolytes or something like Poultry NutriDrench orally. Do you think that she has become dehydrated or gone without food since the integration?

It is hard to know. When they are vaccinated, they vaccinate for the 5 most severe types, but some chickens do and can get coccidiosis even with a vaccine. You could medicate on her in a dog crate, since Corid (amprollium) will negate the vaccine. She could have something else wrong, but coccidiosis is common at this age. Electrolytes or tepid Gatorade can be offered, but if using Corid, do not give B vitamins. If not using Corid, give vitamins with electrolytes or something like Poultry NutriDrench orally. Do you think that she has become dehydrated or gone without food since the integration?
She was eating and drinking yesterday, but nothing today. I currently only have this and the save a chick on hand... Will this be of any help?

I tried to upload a pic of VetRX

Should this Corid powder be something that chickens get periodically get to prevent coccidious? Our chickens are in a closer run, sometimes free ranging … but they are in their run most of the time and that means they are walking around where they poop every day. I just worry that I need to do some consistent disease prevention.

Back
Top Bottom