Lethargic/puffed up 9 week Buff Orp, not sure what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nytepyre, Jul 22, 2013.

1. nytepyre

nytepyre Chirping

Jun 28, 2013
    Carroll County, Maryland
    So my two 9 week Buff Orpingtons and my two 18 week Black Australorps share a coop with a run, open during the day, gate open to free range, and coop back up at night. They have lots of ice water through the day (and a few with no ice, options), and some produce treats from the kitchen, in addition to the rich free-range options here, they graze our acre all day, partially lawn of grass and clover, and they pop into the treeline from time to time, to scratch up some big ol' bugs and whatnot. There's nothing dangerous that I know of like chemicals etc. sitting about, though we're new to chicken raising (we've been at it about 5 weeks), so who's to be sure? We've swept the perimeter "thinking like a chicken" and removed any hazards we could think of. They roost in the coop at night, and have bedding of pine shaving in the coop.

So yesterday was a normal day for them, it's been hot here, but yesterday was a good 15 degrees cooler, so they were happy birds. Ran back to the coop around sunset and we closed up house, all normal. When husband opened the coop and run this AM and let the girls out, I noticed the larger of the two Buffs was just moving a bit slow. She followed the flock out to the lawn, but just sort of sat there while everyone else was bug chasing and clover picking. I watched her from the window for an hour, and went out to check on her. She does look a bit "unkempt", and she's sort of vain, always putting feathers in place and looking pretty. I picked her up and massaged her a bit, every body part feels normal, and she felt the same as every other day, just a bit more limp. I watched her for a while, and she's been grazing here and there, drinking water a bit, but mostly just sitting, puffed up a bit, and slow blinking. Just not herself. I don't know if this is an emegency or just something to keep watch on, but it worried me.

I've not seen her poo today, but I have also been chasing a toddler about, so I haven't been on constant poo watch. She follows the rest of the flock and walks just a bit slower, grazing as she goes, then when they pick a spot, she hunkers down and closes eyes until they move again. Thoughts??

2. nytepyre

nytepyre Chirping

Jun 28, 2013
    Carroll County, Maryland
    She died last night, somewhere between 5 and 7 PM, less than 12 hours after I noticed symptoms. Sad to lose such a snuggly and sweet little one.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss, but I might get some Corid (amprollium) in case any others get similar symptoms. Your little BO may have had coccidiosis. They normally have built up resistance by this age, but it is still possible to get it. Corid powder is 1/2 tsp and Corid liquid is 2 tsp per 1 gallon water. Treatment is 5-7 days.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: