Lethargic, puffed up chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by binza1979, Mar 25, 2013.

1. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I have two chicks, one 5 weeks old and one 4 weeks old, that appear to be sick. Both are very lethargic. Both have their tails down. Both puff up their feather and hold their heads close to their bodies. They are in a "hospital wing" brooder right now. I have but some save-a-chick in their water. Yesterday I gave them a scrambled egg with applesauce and some of their medicated feed mixed in. Poop appears to be normal...not too runny, not bloody, a little on the forest green side.

The 5 week old was curled up under the light with the 4 week old this morning. The 5 weeker was breathing heavier than the 4 week old.

What could be wrong? What should I do? I really don't want to lose these birds...especially the 4 weeker (russian orloff that I paid good money for). The 5 weeker is a white leghorn.

Please help!

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Oh boy this a tough one, it could go either good or bad, I would keep the electrolytes in the water, I wouldn't give appleauce but I would make a mash of medicated food, boiled egg made into a mash with electrolyte water

3. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    So, usually after I see the chick eating and such, if I pick one up, I feel a nice hard crop. With these two, every time I pick them up, I can't feel their crops at all. They are eating. They are pooing. Something is happening. I just don't know what to do.

4. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture of my little Leghorn. She always is puffed up and sickly looking. The orloff was looking and acting normal so she went back in the big brooder and started scratching and eating with her friends.

Any ideas on the leghorn. She is so skinny and fragile. I try to avoid holding her for fear of hurting her. Would you cull or wait it out?

5. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    There is now bloody poop. She is a goner, isn't she?

6. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Sounds like coccidiosis. Go to the feed store and p/u some Corid 9.6% liquid solution (you'll find it in the cattle section). Dosage is 9.5ml in a gallon of water for 5-7 days (make a fresh solution each day and use as their only water source). Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  7. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    How contagious is it? I had another little lady in with the bloody poop girl, but she perked up, so I put her back in the brooder with the others. Was that a bad idea?

8. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    It's contagious. I would treat them all - it won't hurt.

9. ChicCrazyInNC

ChicCrazyInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Mebane NC
    When my chicks get like that I use tylan 200. It's an antibiotic that can be used on lots of livestock and it is what works best for me. I mix about 1 1/2 cc or ml to a gallon of water. It can be found at tractor supply in animal health. It's about $30 a bottle but it's a big bottle and I keep it on hand always. Don't get tylan 50 cause it's cheaper, it's not strong enough. I have save chicks with one dose. U can also use the electrolytes in the same water. Hope this helps and good luck!!

10. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I could only get corid 20% powder. What is the dosing I should use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by