Lethargic, puffed up rooster

buglett88

Chirping
Mar 17, 2017
Snohomish County, WA
I have an 8 month old cochin roo who isn't eating, is standing puffed up with his eyes closed. Noticed this yesterday. Poop is light yellow liquid with very little solid waste. Picture attached.
We live in WA state, just began fermenting their feed about a week ago, changed their flooring to sand in the run. They free range occassionally. Any ideas on what could be wrong with him? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20171021_075145.jpg
    20171021_075145.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 40
We live in WA state, just began fermenting their feed about a week ago....isn't eating, is standing puffed up with his eyes closed...Poop is light yellow liquid with very little solid waste.

Can you take him to a vet or at least take a fresh fecal sample to have some testing performed?

How long have you had him?
If your cockerel just became ill and you have recently changed the feed - that would be something to consider.

Standing puffed up, loose stool like that could be Coccidiosis, infection or any number of things.

Isolating him would be good. Offer him fresh feed only (no fermented), see that he is drinking well. Check his crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. If you suspect that it could be Coccidiosis then you can treat with Amprolium (Corid).

Can you take him to a vet or at least take a fresh fecal sample to have some testing performed?

How long have you had him?
If your cockerel just became ill and you have recently changed the feed - that would be something to consider.

Standing puffed up, loose stool like that could be Coccidiosis, infection or any number of things.

Isolating him would be good. Offer him fresh feed only (no fermented), see that he is drinking well. Check his crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. If you suspect that it could be Coccidiosis then you can treat with Amprolium (Corid).

I've had him since he was a chick.
I think I may have over- fermented??

He's currently isolated with fresh feed and Corid. He's not really interested in food, but I'm getting him to drink.
There aren't any aviary type vets around me, unfortunately...

I've had him since he was a chick.
I think I may have over- fermented??

He's currently isolated with fresh feed and Corid. He's not really interested in food, but I'm getting him to drink.
There aren't any aviary type vets around me, unfortunately...
make sure you are giving the appropriate dose of corid as well

and any vet can do a fecal, tell them its goat poop

Back
Top Bottom