Lethargic Pullet Orpington

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ryan820, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ryan820

ryan820 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    This little lavender Orpington is having issues. About three weeks ago I noticed she seemed tired and lethargic and thought perhaps she was just going through a sleepy phase some animals get when growing. However, she hasn't improved. This is what I know:

1. She's coming up on 11 weeks old
    2. Is one of five (sadly, we have three Roos....ouch) and the others are doing very well
    3. She's been with the flock (lavender orps and my old hens) since about week 6.
    4. She seems to want to sleep all the time
    5. She does drink
    6. She does eat (specifically grass and forage I've witnessed...not sure if up she eats the feed)
    7. She has trouble standing and will make the little chirp noise I often associate with contentment)
    8. She gets vitamins with her water along with the rest of the flock
    9. She appears to be worsen ever so slightly week by week

I have not treated her or anyone else with any medications. Not other illnesses present in the flock. I've attached a video as I suspect it'll tell the story way better than I ever could with written text.

Thoughts? What should be done, if anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. ryan820

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Is she boney? I'm wondering if she is getting any feed. Some chickens keep others from the feeder. Once a chicken claims a feeder others are reluctant to go to it. So, an extra feeder would be one thing I would do, but I doubt it is the real cause of what is going on, more like led to it.
    The other two real possibilities are coccidiosis or worms. Coccidiosis will kill them and that chicken looks on it's last legs. Get some liquid Corid(in the cattle section) at a feed store or tractor supply and you can do a search for the dosage for a the powdered form, but the liquid Corid is 9.5 ml per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. So pick up a syringe while you are at the feed store. Make sure she is drinking enough to get medicated. You can put a few drops of it in her beak to get her started. You might consider worming them also. If she is heavily infected, that can kill her too. They sell worming products for chickens there also. Chickens hide their illness right until the end. You have a very ill bird. I would consider putting her in a crate and nursing her at this point. See it you can get her to eat, but get the Corid right away.

Btw, worming can be very hard on a sick bird. I would try the Corid first and her own feeder and give it seven days and see if there is any improvement, then worm. You might see if she will accept some food from you, some protein treats or grapes, etc. But lay off the treats when treating with the Corid. Just her regular feed when taking that.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  4. ryan820

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    Well I feel a little stupid. I mis read your post and got dewormer for her. It's too late now as she's drank the water. I got vitamins and probiotics for her but I couldn't find corid. Is there another name for this stuff??

She's in our basement now where it is decidedly cooler and she was very hungry. She was very responsive, which I take as a positive sign. She is also coming up to us like I've never seen a chicken do. As if she knows we will feed and water her.

I'll get the corid or whatever trade name I can find if there is such a thing tomorrow and admin that then.

Thank you much for the advice.

5. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    No it's called Corid and it is usually sold in the cattle/horse section. It is for coccidiosis. It sounds like your girl is being kept from the feeder. Someone in the flock intimidates her to the point she isn't eating. When you feed, I would put out another feeder well away or out of sight of the other feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by