Lethargic pullet - swollen right eye - pictures included

deidreg

Crowing
Jul 6, 2020
Connecticut
I have an 11 week old cream legbar pullet named Thistle. She's been with me about 2 1/2 weeks. Starting this morning, she is lethargic with a swollen right eye. She often closes her left eye and stands/sits still. I gave her 1 ml of Nutridrench this morning (by syringe) and water with Nutridrench all day. She perked up enough to complain when I pick her up. She's in a safe container in the house. She will drink if I encourage her. She ate a few mealworms. No signs of injury or trauma.

A little more background: Thistle came with another legbar pullet. (Her sister is Heather and she's been fine.) They've been separated from the flock, but in sight of the other hens. Since I got her, I noticed she closes her eyes while standing or sitting several times during the day. Almost like chicken narcolepsy. Otherwise her behavior has been normal. Eating, drinking, pecking, vocalizing, running around etc. as you'd expect. When her right eye swelled shut about a week ago, I thought it was an injury. No wound, though. I cleaned with sterile water and applied bacitracin for a couple of days. Swelling went down, eye opened and all seemed well.

Photos attached including poop, which is green. (she did eat a bunch of clover yesterday). I treat my own flock, no vet. Any thoughts, suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Thistle - swollen right eye.jpg
Thistle - left eye.jpg
Thistle - poop.jpg

I would treat her for coccidiosis using Corid, just in case.
Check her over for lice or mites.
Early in the morning check her crop before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied.

I would treat her for coccidiosis using Corid, just in case.
Check her over for lice or mites.
Early in the morning check her crop before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied.
Thank you. I checked her thoroughly this morning, including her crop. I have Corid but am holding off until I see how she does with Nutridrench. Funny, right now she's feisty, tipping over her food and water.

This may be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. Tylan 50 injectable given orally, or Tylosin powder put into the water can help treat symptoms. Testing could confirm MG. Here is a godd article to read:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Thanks for sharing. I've never heard of MG. She doesn't exhibit these symptoms, but I will watch closely for them.

MG is a common respiratory disease that is pretty much everywhere. It can be spread from another flock or by wild birds who are carriers. It can show up 6-10 days or more after exposure.

I have an 11 week old cream legbar pullet named Thistle. She's been with me about 2 1/2 weeks. Starting this morning, she is lethargic with a swollen right eye. She often closes her left eye and stands/sits still. I gave her 1 ml of Nutridrench this morning (by syringe) and water with Nutridrench all day. She perked up enough to complain when I pick her up. She's in a safe container in the house. She will drink if I encourage her. She ate a few mealworms. No signs of injury or trauma.

A little more background: Thistle came with another legbar pullet. (Her sister is Heather and she's been fine.) They've been separated from the flock, but in sight of the other hens. Since I got her, I noticed she closes her eyes while standing or sitting several times during the day. Almost like chicken narcolepsy. Otherwise her behavior has been normal. Eating, drinking, pecking, vocalizing, running around etc. as you'd expect. When her right eye swelled shut about a week ago, I thought it was an injury. No wound, though. I cleaned with sterile water and applied bacitracin for a couple of days. Swelling went down, eye opened and all seemed well.

Photos attached including poop, which is green. (she did eat a bunch of clover yesterday). I treat my own flock, no vet. Any thoughts, suggestions welcome. Thanks.
View attachment 3226691View attachment 3226692View attachment 3226693
Hi! How is your chicken doing now?

Thanks for asking. She died several days ago. I determined she had coryza, but it was too late for her. I did get Tylan 50 from TSC and treated my other girls. They are all doing well.

Another hard lesson learned. :(

Back
Top Bottom