Lethargic Pullet With Solid Bright Green Poop

Tuffenoughtorock

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2021
Hello. I currently have 25 9-week old Buckeye chicks, one of which is in the medical kennel. We just got over a scorching heat wave and everyone made it through ok except for one pullet. She was out in the coop wanting to do nothing but sleep. After an exam, I noticed nothing wrong with her eyes, nose, or vent and crop was empty, but her posture and lethargy made me think coccidiosis. Long story short, I got antibiotics (Sulfa) from the vet to treat her and the rest of the flock (I saw no blood in the droppings in the woodshavings but I didn't want to wait for it to get that bad). Got her in a kennel with food and water. She'd eat and drink on her own but kept falling asleep seconds later. Her poop is solid.

I got up the next morning expecting the worst but she pulled through and looked infinitely better. Gobbling down her crumbles and drinking water. She's active, perky, and talkative. My biggest concern though is that she's excessively drinking water and her poop is lime green. Very solid and big, but it's been over 24 hours since she's been on pasture and I would think grass would be out of her system by now. Should I have it checked for parasires? Her crumbles are tan so I would expect her droppings to be a similar color. I attached a picture of her most recent ones. I really don't want to get her outside with the others if there may still be something wrong, so I'm looking to see if anyone else has experienced similar. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210814_163013.jpg
    20210814_163013.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210814_160349.jpg
    20210814_160349.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 9
Was hoping for any replies. Been looking up and down the forums for anything regarding solid light green poops. I've only seen posts involving runny green. The pullet is eating and drinking fine but is about 1/2 lbs lighter than the others. She had some undigested feed in one of her droppings last night but it has since gone back to just lime green solids. Could it be upset digestion due to the Sulfa? Anyway, still holding out for some input in backyardchickens land.

Edit: Also thought I'd note that she still hasn't been on grass or eaten anything other than her crumbles since Friday. These lime green poops are driving me crazy!

Last edited:
from what I know, green either means stress or an electrolyte problem. has she been in the heat? like longterm, no shade?
We've had 2 weeks straight of sweltering temps (heat index of over 100). The flock has a shady run behind the coop that they can relax in when it's hot, and I keep a fan on them inside the coop. She's been in the ac for 2 days now and the weather outside has finally gotten more bearable. I have electrolytes that I'll be starting in their water after their round of Sulfa is completed. I've been monitoring the rest of the chickens and their poops carefully and they are what they should be.

Back
Top Bottom