lethargic pullet with split beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shelley31904, Sep 24, 2011.

1. shelley31904

shelley31904 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Hi all, need advice... 15 wk old buff brahma pullet with a split in the top part of beak is not eating or drinking . I noticed split beak this week and was going to try clipping some of it off and using vet grade super glue. But now, this morning she has empty crop and is sitting puffed up in the chkn tractor. She and her 17 wk old pullet buddy have been together since they were a week old. The araucana pullet is fine and fit, but buff brahma seems a little thin.

Taking her to vet to work on beak and check stool for worms or cocci. They have been eating medicated chick starter and they are crated at night and in tractor during day. I do have other chickens, they have had roundworms. Does anyone think the split beak could be the cause of this???

2. shelley31904

Jun 24, 2011
    So the stool sample had cocci in it despite feeding her medicated food. She was not eating or drinking so tube fed her egg yolk mixed with corid. Would like to know is supportive care--tube feeding baby parrot food mixed with corid would help?

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I get nervous tube feeding a bird, but if you have experience- go for it! Otherwise I'd suggest just dripping the food on to her tongue so she can suck it down herself. I'm sorry to hear about the illnesses, I wish you and your chickens the best of luck! (I'm also posting so that others see this and can help!)

4. shelley31904

Jun 24, 2011
    Thank you, Team Chaos. She died last night. She was eating medicated food, until she got sick, and other pullets are healthy. I am just sad as this was the first chick I ever hatched and she was so tame and well loved. She really didn't act sick or have symptoms until Sat. and by then it was too late. Also, there was cocci in stool, but not an overwhelming number, I wish I had checked her sooner. I handle her everyday and just can't believe how she was fine one day and dead the next.

My vet and I tubed her and it went well. We have seen it done and were shown how to previously by an avian vet. We think she was too far gone for it to help. I am checking my other pullet's poop today and giving her Corid for 5 days. I have had 2 different batches chicks grow out all summer and all have been well, so I guess this little one just was not as strong as the others, I don't know.

5. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Oh Shelley, I am so sorry to read that. You did an excellent job loving your girl from start to finish. It's so hard to say goodbye. I'm glad she was so well loved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by