Lethargic Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MasterOfClucker, Nov 13, 2016.

1. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    My 7 month old pullet has been lethargic the past two days.She poops a lot she does drink and eat but usually not that much im currently treating them because they have lice but i didnt find any on her.She is not egg bound we checked.I have corid on hand if she does have cocci.Thanks

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

Don't treat her for anything until you are sure that she has it. If she did have coccidocis then there would probably be more birds that were showing symptoms. Put her in islolation just to be safe, and keep her as stress free as possible. As long as she is eating and drinking then she isn't in any immeadiate danger of sudden death, so just keep her comfortable and give her a few extra treats [​IMG]

3. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Ok Thanks,Any disease's that you think she might have?

4. PeepersMama

I can't think of any off the top of my head. Sorry [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you take a few fresh droppings from overnight into your local vet for a fecal test to look for worms and cocci? Is there any blood in her droppings? Has she been laying eggs recently? Corid won't harm her if you chose to treat for possible coccidiosis, but it can be hard to determine the cause of those symptoms. Internal laying problems or some other problem may be a possible if she has not be laying.

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I cant take her droppings anywhere.There is no Avian vet in Iowa my local veterinarian wont do it either.She stopped laying a week or two ago.No blood she poops a lot and its quite runny

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  7. PeepersMama

Hm, that's annoying. They should do it just to be nice [​IMG] My vet probably would, and they don't work with chickens.
    If you really want find out what's wrong with her, then you could locate your state vet lab. Typically they'd only do necropsies on dead chickens, but they should have an avain expert who might take a look at her,or at least run a sample [​IMG] Here's a link that lists them by state: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/06/chicken-health-poultry-management.html

8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I will look at the link.My dad and the vet used to hunt together but i guess they wont do it

9. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    She is doing better today,She eats and drinks fine so i don't think its cocci anymore.They have had lice for a while and i think they might just be taking a toll on her

10. PeepersMama

That's good. When my chickens hang out with the wild birds to much ([​IMG]) they tend to get bugs, and then they have good days and bad days. Sounds like she was probably just having a bad day. I hope she continues to recover! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by