1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GranolaGirl, Sep 29, 2010.

1. GranolaGirl

GranolaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Creedmoor
    I have a pullet that has been acting "sleepy" and has been sleeping on the floor of the coop. Any ideas? I am new to raising chickens

2. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Can you try to answer some of the question it will help others to help you, it is hard to help without some more information.

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

[​IMG] You will find lots of answers to just about everything. It is the college of chicken raising IMO!

3. GranolaGirl

Sep 25, 2010
    Creedmoor
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Lakenfelder pullet 11 weeks

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Acting sleepy- eyes closing, sleeping on floor of coop

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    3 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Not that I have noticed

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    not visible

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    She was recently added to the flock ( and I didn't quarantine...I know, stupid mistake). She was from the same group of pullets that I had gotten other birds from

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Medicated starter

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Haven't noticed

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None yet. Wanted to learn more

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Try to treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

None
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Coop is 3X6; fenced run is 20x30; bedding is wood shavings

Thank you SOO much for your time!!

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Cocci? Maybe, if she was just added and did not have resistance to strains in your soil/coup then she would be likely to come down ill.

Other things too could be the problem, worms or even change of diet could throw her system off.

Likely best to head off the problem, get her separated, check over the symptoms of cocci and worms, keep her hydrated and get some good nutrition into her, yougurt, fish. At least give her the best chance to deal with what ever bug she has. Strenghthen her up and make sure she is healthy before going back into flock.

5. GranolaGirl

Sep 25, 2010
    Creedmoor
    Quote:Thank you for your help. I'll try that

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    To try to help bolster her strength 3 drops Polyvisol liquid childrens vitamins daily without the added iron- administered gently along her beak line with dropper so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke. Stuff seems to taste like crud to them so see if she'll take a cut up blueberry or other tasty stuff afterward to reward her and to take the bad taste away.

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by