lethargic pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenAl, Aug 12, 2011.

1. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Tonight I noticed one of our golden comets looked a little off. She was shaking her head like she had a fly buzzing around. I sprayed them all down with poultry protector figuring she may have mites, but none were seen. I let them out to range and she was fine and scratching with the rest of them then suddenly she stood still and did not want to move. I picked her up and moved her back to the run and she went in a corner and laid down. She was closing her eyes and resting. When she does get up her tail feathers are pointing down. I felt her crop and it was about the size of a golf ball because she did eat when she first was let out. I tried gently feeling her underneath and it did not feel like there was and egg in there. Today we got 5 eggs out of the six of them but no way to know who layed and which didn't.

No idea what is wrong, and I know these symptoms are vague, but I know she is not herself. Any ideas?

2. ChickenAl

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    I was told by my wife that they all did indeed lay today and the last egg was collected in the late afternoon.

"Big Momma" did go into the coop at dusk and got up on the lower roost by herself. Will wait until morning to see how she is.

3. ChickenAl

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Don't know what it could have been but she was fine all day today.

4. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Maybe she ate something that just didn't settle well with her.

5. ChickenAl

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    suki'smom :

Maybe she ate something that just didn't settle well with her.

She may have. Been fine ever since. Scared me though.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by