lethargic quail, wont eat or drink, slightly sunken eyes seemed fine this morning??

Tea_Birbs

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2021
a few hours ago i notice one of my male quails (4 months old) acting lethargic, he'd get all fluffy and puffed up and would close his eyes for some time. he feels a little bit lighter and skinnier compared to a few other quails. Im not really sure what to do with him, so far we quarantined him and given him some medicated water (just some electrolytes and extra vitamins). its been fairly warm today which makes me concerned that hes not drinking. i forced him a bit of water just to keep him hydrated. im hoping whatever it is that it isnt contagious, my whole flock could be at risk. i haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary, the rest of the flock seems fine but ill check on them and him again later.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I would give a dose of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell directly into his beak, since some will not drink medicated water. Try encouraging him to drink with a dropper or by dipping the beak into a small lid of water. If he is cold he might need to be in a heated room around 75-80 degrees. There is a quail forum to post on if you look under Forums at the top of this page.

Top Bottom