Lethargic RIR Hen with Clear (egg white looking) poop with dark green

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RIRLVR, Jul 22, 2010.

1. RIRLVR

RIRLVR Hatching

Jul 22, 2010
    Help Please

My RIR Hen is lethargic, not interested in food, drinking lots of water, and laying down and sleeping most of the day. I had to clean her vent area off 3 days ago from dried poop, then the next day I found fragile shell remains stuck to her butt fluff, with a partial egg shell piece still stuck inside her (like it broke in the process of laying it). I couldn't find any remnants of the egg itself, besides what was stuck to her butt. She laid a small light colored thin shelled egg the next day, but hasn't laid anything since, and seems to be getting worse. She isn't interested in food at all. Drinking lots of water. Her poop is clear and running (looks like egg white that just begin to warm up in the frying pan) with a slimy dark green part too.

I tried giving her crumbles soaked in milk, applesauce and some scrambled egg, but she isn't really interested. She did find some dry cat food in the back yard and seems sort of interested in that? Is that healthy for her? She won't really eat anything else.

Otherwise, she looks healthy. She is a bit skinny. I don't know how old she is, or anything from her past, as I rescued her after she was abandoned in a cardboard box in the country. She is the sweetest hen and I don't want to lose her.

I am afraid she has EYP, since I found a broken egg shell stuck to her butt. But I don't know for sure. How can I tell?

Any help is appreciated.

jess

2. thecraycoop

thecraycoop Hatching

Jul 12, 2011
    I just noticed similar poop this morning with one of my hens too... One of my hens just layed her first two eggs and yesterday we received no egg. This morning when I went to feed them, she was in her nesting box but when I started feeding the hens she ran out to eat. She looks fine but maybe I need to sit and observe her for awhile. When I was in the run I noticed some egg white substance poop. It was completely clear. I thought that was odd and never seen that before. I'm guessing it's from my oldest hen who just started laying but not sure. It has been very hot here lately and yesterday it stormed all afternoon and I was wondering if that stressed them out because their run is all wet and we had to lay down some wood so they have some dry areas to stand. What a mess. I need some advise on what to do about that. I'm in Louisiana and it's been rainng alot lately. We do have two wheels on the run and can move the run but if we keep it where it is I need to figure out what to lay down on the ground so the hens are not having to walk in mud. Any advise on the poop and run would be greatly appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: