Lethargic RIR, won't eat, stands hunched, no visible eggbound

NBwriter

Chirping
Apr 2, 2016
west of Boston
One of my Rhode Island Reds (4yo) isn't well — she is squatting and lethargic and won't leave the coop for the run, won't eat or drink. It's been 2 days. I suspected she's egg bound, and brought her in for a warm water bath, and have her crated in the house. She's standing up like a turkey vulture, leaning tall against the wall hunched neck tail down, and wobbles the few times she's tried to walk. Poor thing won't eat or drink at all, clacks her beak a bit when I try to give her water drops. There's no sign of an egg when I feel for one, but then she pulsates like she's trying to pass one. No fluid buildup to suggest water belly/ascites. She's been otherwise in good health, no diet change and they don't free range. Any ideas?

Attachments

• s1.jpeg
    s1.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 18
Salmon and eggs are in the cage with her, but Sunny has no interest and won't take it by hand, even if I put it in her beak. Her eyes are mostly closed and she stands still. I actually can't be sure when she last ate or passed an egg because there are 6 in there (3 brown layers, 3 green layers). Her two fellow 4yos are fine.

So sorry your hen is sick :hugs Is a vet an option? If not, can you place her in a warm room or cage? 80-85 degrees would be ideal. As sick as she looks in the picture I would not soak her again, it could kill her. :(
Yes, I brought her in the house now, where it's about 75 degrees. It's 100 outside today in Boston. The only vet that handles poultry within an hour is closed :(

Back
Top Bottom