We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Lethargic RIR, won't eat, stands hunched, no visible eggbound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NBwriter, Jul 20, 2019.

1. NBwriter

NBwriter Chirping

Apr 2, 2016
    west of Boston
    One of my Rhode Island Reds (4yo) isn't well — she is squatting and lethargic and won't leave the coop for the run, won't eat or drink. It's been 2 days. I suspected she's egg bound, and brought her in for a warm water bath, and have her crated in the house. She's standing up like a turkey vulture, leaning tall against the wall hunched neck tail down, and wobbles the few times she's tried to walk. Poor thing won't eat or drink at all, clacks her beak a bit when I try to give her water drops. There's no sign of an egg when I feel for one, but then she pulsates like she's trying to pass one. No fluid buildup to suggest water belly/ascites. She's been otherwise in good health, no diet change and they don't free range. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

• s1.jpeg
      s1.jpeg
      File size:
      638 KB
      Views:
    Wyorp Rock and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Aww, poor girl. It could be a reproductive issue, especially at that age. Try seeing if she'll eat scrambled or boiled egg, tuna or yogurt.

3. NBwriter

NBwriter Chirping

Apr 2, 2016
    west of Boston
    Salmon and eggs are in the cage with her, but Sunny has no interest and won't take it by hand, even if I put it in her beak. Her eyes are mostly closed and she stands still. I actually can't be sure when she last ate or passed an egg because there are 6 in there (3 brown layers, 3 green layers). Her two fellow 4yos are fine.

4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    So sorry your hen is sick :hugs Is a vet an option? If not, can you place her in a warm room or cage? 80-85 degrees would be ideal. As sick as she looks in the picture I would not soak her again, it could kill her. :(

6. NBwriter

NBwriter Chirping

Apr 2, 2016
    west of Boston
    Yes, I brought her in the house now, where it's about 75 degrees. It's 100 outside today in Boston. The only vet that handles poultry within an hour is closed :(

7. NBwriter

NBwriter Chirping

Apr 2, 2016
    west of Boston
    RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Have you checked the inside of her vent with your finger? This will help you visualize where the egg would be.
    4d_anatomy.JPG

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  9. NBwriter

NBwriter Chirping

Apr 2, 2016
    west of Boston
    Yes a bit, couldn't feel anything. Certainly nothing hanging out like I've seen on youtube. Maybe need lube and try further?

RhodeIslandRed5 and casportpony like this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    If you cant feel an egg by inserting your finger to the second knuckle then I doubt she has a stuck egg. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: