lethargic roo with green watery poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KLAM, May 25, 2019.

1. KLAM

KLAM In the Brooder

May 15, 2018
    Georgia
    5F55E084-C516-403F-9C8E-62EFF859E397.jpeg 1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    This is a one year old smooth sizzle rooster. He doesn’t seem to feel lighter than usual. I’ll start weighing him in the morning.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Yesterday he seemed fine. Today when I went to let my chickens out of the coop he just sat there. I picked him up and looked him over. I don’t see any bugs on him. His bum was messy. I did feed my chickens watermelon the last few days. Not sure if that could cause him to feel bad.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Just today

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Just wondering about the watermelon?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    I set him in the yard hoping he would eventually get up and he sat there most of the day with water available. Offered him food also. I don’t believe he ate or drank anything on his own. I mixed him up a little water with honey and polyvisol and had to squirt it in his mouth. Also put a few pieces of crumbles in his mouth which he swallowed. Did this a couple of times.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    It’s runny and green. See picture.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    See #7. I also finally brought him into my garage in a cage with water and crumbles available. He did actually stand for a little while and then sat back down. His crop does feel a little squishy.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I’m more in the city and have never found an avian vet nearby. I’ll do the best I can on my own.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use- currently in a cage with puppy pads.

2. KLAM

KLAM In the Brooder

May 15, 2018
    Georgia
    00A6748C-E153-4290-A350-0500AC444465.jpeg This was him just yesterday...

3. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    He's a very pretty boy.
    Most of the people on this site are early risers. I'd expect someone to answer in the morning.

4. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Songster

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    I hope you find some some answers for your Roo. I needed help with my sick Roo days ago and got no responses....He has since passed.

5. KLAM

KLAM In the Brooder

May 15, 2018
    Georgia
    Ok thank you! ❤️

6. KLAM

KLAM In the Brooder

May 15, 2018
    Georgia
    I’m so very sorry for your loss.

7. KLAM

KLAM In the Brooder

May 15, 2018
    Georgia
    408345D8-FC0E-4221-82AE-AB76E26D01F5.png He’s a bit better this morning. He has crowed a few times but still stumbles and is off balance. He ate and was very interested in a cooked egg yolk. Maybe ate half of it. I took out the soiled puppy pad and found hundreds of teeny tiny worms on it. So small that I didn’t see them at first. I’ll research to see if I can figure out what they are. Attaching picture...

8. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Songster

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    I was gonna say, I see worms so a worming should be in order. Safeguard liquid for goats at 1/2 cc for a large bird, so a 1/4 cc for yours.

Maybe do a course of antibiotics, Tylan 50.

9. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India
    What's the temperature in your area ?
    Green poop loose in summer I see often as Chickens don't eat much drink alot and poop watery mostly

But it could be Bacterial Infection can you give 1 Tbsp Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar In 1 Litter Water
    Or 1-2 Chop Cloves Of Garlic ?

It will kick the immunity

For loose poop some cooked rice with probiotic yoghurt works great ..

10. KLAM

KLAM In the Brooder

May 15, 2018
    Georgia
    C06EE772-7FEF-4568-8657-6CD457772C44.jpeg Thank you both!! I’m at the vet now for my cat so I’m bringing a sample of his poop for a float test (my vet doesn’t see chickens). But good news is that the diarrhea has stopped, he is eating again, he’s fiesty and seems ready to go back outside. There was definitely worms on his puppy pad but in restrospect I’m thinking they are fly larvae. The first day we noticed he wasn’t feeling well and he just sat in the yard all day, the flies were swarming him. His tail was dirty with the diarrhea so I bet they laid eggs on him and then they hatched once I finally decided to separate and cage him. See picture. But I’m definitely double checking with the float test. And I’ll definitely try the Apple cider and garlic and probably a dewormer.

Saaniya likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: