Lethargic roo with mint green poop - please help

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
"Velocy" is a 10 month old BR rooster, and has been the picture of health until now. This morning he did not want to come off his roost, and this afternoon he is sitting around, tail down, with no interest in his surroundings. His crop is close to empty (I can feel a tiny amount of "grainy" stuff in there, maybe the size of a walnut, but since it is 4pm here, it should be much fuller).
He is not "puffed up", his eyes are clear and normal looking, there are no discernable injuries anywhere, but the edges of his comb have turned black. He is not limping and walks fine, but very slow. He just ate some scrambled egg out of my hand. His poop was stuck to his vent, and it is mint green and mushy, with some undigested grass or hay in it ( it looks like chewed, green bubble gum).
Any ideas or suggestions?

Quote:
James, I've compared the pictures of "cocci poo" to what his looks like, and they don't match. The closed match I have found is one for lymphoid leukosis. Don't they always have blood in their stool, when it's cocci?

No Im not a vet but im almost certain it is coccidiosis this type caused by mites check him for them I have learned this all from what I went through the bacteria live in the poop so make sure he is kept in a clean enviorment give him sulmet he will improve over a day or so and give it to all your birds or they will all get it

Okay, I'll give the Sulmet a shot. I have him in a cage in the house, away from the flock, and I will check him for mites right now. Thanks!

Dont forget to give it to the rest of the flock also mites are hard to see mine had them and I didnt see them till it was a major problem you can dip him in adams flea and tick shampoo you will see them in the water

I have a young hen (8 mo) w similar symptoms. Lethargic, wobbly on her feet, mint green poop, no appetite. I am going to try sulmet as recommended in the thread on this topic, I'll try and update on how it went.

Back
Top Bottom