Lethargic roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jdyson, Aug 4, 2013.

1. jdyson

jdyson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    I was wondering what my options are as far as this goes. My roo is acting lethargic, not crowing or trying to love the girls. Just standing there like he is trying to sleep. His poo is normal, comb and wattles are bright red and I have seen him eat and drink a little. Not sure what is going on but any info would be helpful. Let me add to that, I haven't wormed my chickens before in case that could be it.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be a number of things. Examine his crop for impaction or sour crop (morning it should be flat.) Check him all over for lice and mites, or mite dirt or eggs. Check his droppings for blood or abnormal color. His age would be good to list. Cocci can affect any age if a new strain is tracked in on shoes or by a new chicken. Corid is the treatment of choice.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  3. jdyson

jdyson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    After 2 days he was back to his normal silly self. I think it was the humidity being so high. I added electrolytes to his water and he started to perk back up. Thank you for responding :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by