Lethargic Rooster Not Eating or Drinking & Just Sleeps

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KimPahl, Jun 15, 2016.

1. KimPahl

KimPahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2015
    Jefferson, NC
    We've only had chickens for 1 year and no problems so I'm a bit inexperienced, but learning. But about 4 days ago he was acting off but we just kept an eye on him. Then he became lethargic and lying down alone outside (they free range). When I tried to pick him up he attempted to get away but was way off balance and just basically fell down. Put him in the house giving him water w/ electrolytes. He was in my lap for a couple of hours just out of it. It was bad and I didn't know what to expect in the morning. He was alive but not better.

By that afternoon he ate some mashed food, never saw him drink but I was giving him water and then he got energy and wanted outside. Put him out with the hens and all was fine the rest of the day and the next day until we came home at 5pm and it was the same thing all over again!

Now he's been inside again since last evening and there's zero improvement. One thing that's weird is occasionally he will get flighty kind of and put up a fuss and then completely go limp. It's happened like 4 times and all times I thought he died! Checked him for lice/mites & vent looks good. Checked his crop and compared to my other chickens I feel nothing but he's not eating. Well, what I'm feeling is a long mass that feels like muscle. Is that his trachea? I was massaging it just in case but when I touch him there he stands up and raises his head up like it bothers him or something I'm not sure.

We don't want to use antibiotics and I don't know what's wrong with him. But at this point I'll do what I need to to save him. Thus far today he has just been out of it sleeping. He only responds if I pick him up and then goes right back to sleep. Someone suggested sulmet for him.

All I could find at either TSC or Southern States was tetracycline hydrochloride antibiotic although it's for respiratory which I don't think he has. I got it b/c that's all they had. No sulmet or terramycin. I'm not sure what to do and he is really not doing well. Should I use the antibiotic? I'm just lost as what to do! In the pictures his comb has dried blood on it. It happened before. I think it's from him doing something around our fencing.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KimPahl

Aug 5, 2015
    Jefferson, NC
    He also just awoke for a few seconds and I saw him open his beak wide a few times. Not sure what that was about.

3. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    I would not feed him anything, but would give water/electrolites. Two Crows wrote great how to diagnose crop issues. Do a search on BYC information forum of sour crop, impacted crop, to find this excellent article.

When did you deworm and with what? If you have not dewormed it might be blockage caused by mass of worms. That can be tricky to treat as you got to move mass as well as deworm.

I don't feed a sick bird until I totally rule out any crop or digestive issue. A chicken won't starve if it doesn't eat for a couple days. But if you have digestive issues you can sure make it worse by feeding.

4. KimPahl

Aug 5, 2015
    Jefferson, NC
    Hi Donna,

Yeah, I'm not really concerned about him eating at this point. The last time I saw him eat was the night before last in the coop. I'm just trying to give him water now and again. I don't really know how much is getting down him or how often I should be giving it to him, but I'm trying. I'm using a large dropper as I don't have a syringe.

He doesn't have sour crop (no smell) and I don't believe impacted crop either as there's nothing in there. We don't deworm them. They have DE in their food and if there was a sign of worms we would use pumpkin seed, garlic or cayenne pepper. I haven't seen signs of worms. They are organic chickens so we only do all natural remedies, etc with them, although w/ what is going on now with him I just don't know what's going to happen now.

There's 1 person in our tiny town that sees chickens so I may see if I can get him in tomorrow if she's there.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by