Lethargic Rooster Only in Coop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chookgal, Feb 14, 2017.

1. chookgal

chookgal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2016
    I went out one day and saw my roosters toes were stiff, he couldn't bend them at all. When he walked he lifted his feet way higher then normal. All my other hens are just fine. I brought him inside, no signs of frostbite, nothing out of the ordinary. He perked up quickly. Since then, ive tried putting him back out in the coop and when i did today i found him lying on his side on the floor, lethargic, I thought he was dead. He was only out for a couple hours, and its warmer today than it has been latley. Again, I brought him inside and now he's fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is he? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? Separate him inside where it is warmer than his coop in a basket or crate with food and water where you can watch him for a day or two. Put poultry vitamins in his water that contain riboflavin--SaveAChick, Vitamins With Lactobacillus, Rooster Cell are some brands. Get him to drink, since he may be dehydrated, with a dropper, spoon to the side of his beak, or hold a cup up to his beak to drink. Add a lot of water to a small bowl of feed, offer chopped egg or bits of tuna after he is drinking. Are his toes durling under on either foot, and does he sit or walk on his hocks or elbows? When he stands, do his wings droop? Notice if he is having diarrhea or unusual poops. How cold has the weather been when it was colder?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  3. chookgal

Nov 18, 2016
    We got him last spring, from tsc so I don't know if he was vaccinated. He eats and drinks just fine, and his wings did droop in the coop. I haven't seen his toes curl at all, just stick straight out. He stands just fine. No symptoms at all inside the house. I don't know the exact temps that day, but all my other chickens were fine. It had been colder.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    TSC and most feed stores do not sell vaccinated chicks since it costs more money. He is at the age that Mareks could show up, but I would continue to try getting him nourished and hydrated. He may be weak from dehydration or being kept from food and water lately, or be suffering from some temporary illness. The vitamins and electrolytes, some TLC, and food may help his symptoms. If his legs get worse, then I would suspect possibly Mareks. Look his feet over for any sores or spots that might be bumblefoot, or any swollen joints that could be injuries or bacterial arthritis.

5. chookgal

Nov 18, 2016
    Ok, thanks for the input!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  6. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    www.meyerhatchery.com sells vaccinations with complete instructions if you are interested in the rest of your flock being vaccinated. Once a bird is diseased it is too late to vaccinate you can only hope for survival. Currently Meyer is my favourite and their staff is extremely polite. They ship year round and vaccinate for Merek's for a very small fee for your day old chicks before shipping.

7. chookgal

Nov 18, 2016
    Thanks, but I don't think its Marek's, beacuase he's fine when i bring him inside. I'm thinking it could be neurological, or maybe just really sensitive to cold. I'll see how he does outside as the temps start to warm up

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Let us know how he gets along. Cold temps are kind of hard on some birds. The vitamins may help. Even a human vitamin B complex tablet added to his water or feed may help.

9. chookgal

Nov 18, 2016
    I put some fish oil on his food, which is supposed to have vitamin b. He loved it- but then again, he loves all foods :)

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am not aware of any B vitamins in fish oil, just that they contain omega 3 fatty acids. However you can feed bits of plain yogurt, beef liver, mushrooms, spinach, or chopped almonds for riboflavin (B2) and thiamine (B1) is found in fish, pork, and sunflower kernels

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by