1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic Rooster - sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eggstra, Nov 28, 2011.

1. eggstra

eggstra New Egg

Aug 2, 2010
    This is my first post! Unfortunately, not a good one. [​IMG] Found my rooster hobbling yesterday and there appeared to be no noticeable injury. Wing seemed a little limp. Can't find any punctures or other abnormalities. Today, he doesn't leave the coop, he is just sitting there on the floor. Eyes are clear and he is breathing. I noticed some wetness where his bottom was. I moved him to a clean spot. He didn't put up a fight, totally unlike him. I don't know what is wrong. Any suggestions? Advice as to what to look for? I have five hens and they all seem fine. Please help! Thanks!

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    How old is he? How old is your flock?
    Have you wormed? When did you last worm them, with what, did you repeat at least a second time?

Search here on BYC for "Worming", also "Worming with Valbazen" (orally, each chicken one at a time)... Limping and many, many symptoms, including respiratory symptoms can be caused by worms. Note posts by dawg53 for procedure and dosing. Also search "how to give oral medications" so that you do it right, safely.

If you have wormed and wormed properly, then, I think that you can still use the Search here on BYC to see what kinds of input or information is available on the symptoms he is showing.

Sounds like he may have diarrhea as well.. watch for that, check his poop (follow him around until he poops)... look for worms or "segments" (like rice) in the poop... but, just because you don't see anything doesn't mean he (and the flock) don't have worms. You can mix buttermilk or yogurt into some of their food.. both buttermilk and yogurt are cultured and pro-biotic, will help with diarrhea and are good to give a few days after worming as well.

Good luck.

3. eggstra

eggstra New Egg

Aug 2, 2010
    Unfortunately, I just found him dead in the coop. Very sad. I have been searching on here to find some ideas and I thought I had some good leads. Any suggestions on follow-up since I don't know why he died?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by