Lethargic Rooster, Wont Eat or Drink Anything!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silver Bantam, Sep 21, 2016.

1. One of our two roosters, a leghorn bantam, has become extremely lethargic. I went to give him and his flock some bugs only a little earlier today, and he was sitting on the ground with his wings at an awkward angle. I walked over to him and he just sat there, so I picked him up.

He is very thin, a bit floppy, and can't have eaten anything for a good few days, because his crop is all but empty. And his rear is clean, so he either hasn't been going toilet at all all doesn't have any diarrhea.

At the moment I have him on a towel next to me inside, and he is just sitting with his eyes closed. I am very worried, and have no idea what to do, as I can't seem to find anything on the internet.

I have tried to spoon him some water, but he doesn't do anything!!

*Please also note that I have been away for the last five days, and have not been able to monitor or look after him. So I have no idea when this started or anything. They (my family) had mentioned that they hadn't notice him crow much while I was away though, and when I gave the flock water this afternoon they were all extremely thirsty. So I would expect dehydration or something, though he was drinking fine on his own and everything with the others when I watered them.

2. Just tried to give him some scrambled eggs, but he wont eat that either. Any advise would be much appreciated!

3. Also forgot to mention that the tips of his comb are a sort of purple colour, and the rest of his comb seems to be changing to that colour too.

4. Nineplus5

Nineplus5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    No sign of a rooster fight? Changing comb color is worrisome. Can you get some vitamins into him? Water and vitamins are more important than food right now.

I had a rooster go quiet for a couple days, he hung around on the run and coop by himself while the others were let out to play in the yard. Ended up being wry neck.

Feed him if he will eat. Didn't mean to imply food was unimportant.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  5. Our roosters are bother kept in separate pens with their own little flocks, so he hasn't had anyone to pick on him at all. He has no signs of injury, either.

I have been spending the last half an hour or so spooning water for him. I found that by tilting his head back gently and opening his beak, I could pour a bit of water in and he would swallow most of it. I also tried mashing up the scrambled eggs with the water, and doing the same spooning method. So it isn't heaps, but he is getting a little bit of fluid. Just not sure it it's enough, or if I'm too late :(

I just looked up wry neck, and it doesn't appear to be that? He is standing now- still hunched over, but his neck isn't floppy or hanging back at all.

He clucked a tiny bit and poo'ed before, and it was completely normal and solid looking. Could he just be severely dehydrated? So confused with him...

Thank you so much for replying- anything helps at this stage!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry about your boy. :hugs I know how hard it is to watch them decline when you arent sure what is wrong.

Purple comb can indicate circulation, heart issues or high blood pressure. Did he possibly eat something he shouldnt have? Anything poisonous? There is a thread here in our archives on "flushes" that help rid the body of toxins. I dont know if you could get him to drink enough with a milk or molasses flush, but maybe you could get some charcoal into him if you do suspect some sort of toxins?

I sure hope you can figure this out. I know how difficult this is. :hugs

7. Nineplus5

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    1 person likes this.
  8. Nineplus5

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    Good reading actually. Thank You Two Crows. Bookmarked for reference.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by