Lethargic rooster

JK Homestead

Hatching
Mar 30, 2020
I’m still fairly new to being a chicken farmer so please bare with me. My rooster isn’t doing well. Me and my wife believe he’s a white leghorn. We got him from tsc less than a year ago. His comb is still nice and red. But he’s being lethargic and his left eye was closed. I don’t see any bubbles or drainage. he was just standing around when I got home tail down and his head down. He didn’t even move when I approached him. I was able to get a picture of his poop which looks abnormal. And it felt like his crop was hard I didn’t really now how to check it I just felt it by poking at it. Can anyone help me figure out what’s wrong with him. Thanks in advance
087A450B-518B-45A4-8B94-5FD88EAD50F4.jpeg

he’s being lethargic and his left eye was closed. I don’t see any bubbles or drainage. he was just standing around when I got home tail down and his head down. He didn’t even move when I approached him. I was able to get a picture of his poop which looks abnormal. And it felt like his crop was hard I didn’t really now how to check it I just felt it by poking at it.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the rooster?
Where are you located in the world?

I would definitely check his crop first thing in the morning before he eats/drinks - see if it's flat/empty.
I agree, poop is not normal.
Is vet care an option?

I would move him to somewhere relatively warm. See if you can get him hydrated.
What does he eat? Any chance he got into anything moldy or rotten?

Has he ever been wormed?
Do you have any Corid to treat for Coccidiosis?
Any antibiotics on hand?

The crop is on the right side of the breast - you can run your hand gently down the front - if he's been eating, you should feel a bulge/food in there. In the morning it should be flat. If it's not, then feel more closely - tell us if it's doughy, fluid filled, hard, soft, etc.

I would also take a look inside his beak just to make sure there's no canker or yellow/white pasty looking lesions.

These are from this morning. I live in Jacksonville AR.

As for vet care I would have to call around to find one but I don’t see any online.

As for food. We give him layer pellets, scratch, meal worms and kitchen scrapes. Nothing thats got mold on it.

As far as I know we have not medicated them. We may have when they were chicks with medicated crumb but that would be it. I dont have any corvid I was going to run by tsc to get some on my lunch break.

Only kind of medication we have on hand is penicillin.

If I’m feeling in the right spot it felt squishy almost like watery. when I was checking him out I noticed snot like stuff hanging from his beak and while he was breathing sounded like a gurgling noise.

I plan on separating him from the flock when I get home. I will treat the flock for worms.
300B3328-CC6B-4E54-9314-3B5DDDF5FCA5.jpeg
A25683CC-4B3F-4622-963F-0E3229F8F5A2.jpeg

300B3328-CC6B-4E54-9314-3B5DDDF5FCA5.jpeg
A25683CC-4B3F-4622-963F-0E3229F8F5A2.jpeg

The saliva/discharge coming from the beak and gurgling is very concerning.
If his crop is not empty this morning, I would begin treating him for crop issues. This can be due to something else going on - worms, coccidiosis, infection, etc.

He does need to stay hydrated, but I would be hesitant to syringe fluids into him if he's gurgly.
Have you added any new chickens to your flock within the last few weeks?
I would still look inside the beak to make sure there is no canker or yellow/white lesions or material as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Smell his breath while you are examining him too. I see something in the edge of his beak - could be just buildup from the saliva (maybe food?), but that's worth investigating.
1585662917346.png

We have added new chickens recently. 3 of the 5. We still have the 2 poulets still separate just cuz there smaller. I’ll do some more examinations when I get off.

What would be the best way to hydrate him with the gurgling issue.

We have added new chickens recently. 3 of the 5. We still have the 2 poulets still separate just cuz there smaller. I’ll do some more examinations when I get off.

What would be the best way to hydrate him with the gurgling issue.
I would hold a cup of water to his beak and see if he will drink on his own. Maybe dip his beak in the water.
I would be very hesitant to syringe fluids since he's got a lot of mucous and he's gurgling.

Back
Top Bottom