Lethargic rooster?

RubiconChicken

Chirping
Jun 4, 2019
Southeastern Wisconsin
I have a year old speckled sussex who has been incredibly protective from the get-go. However, a few days ago, I noticed he wasn't hanging out with his ladies (they free range). I did introduce 8.5 week old chicks about 2 weeks ago (they all seem perfectly healthy). My rooster will get up and run away from me if I walk towards him and does not seem to have any weakness. However, he will run about 15 feet from me and then he will just stop and seems to fall asleep standing up. His comb is still bright red and I haven't noticed any changes in his poo. All of my other chickens are acting 100% normal. Initially I was concerned about mareks as my young group of chickens is not vaccinated - but my rooster is vaccinated. The timing also doesn't make total sense that he would develop symptoms that quickly..and no one else is acting lethargic. I also did clean out my coop 5 days ago and threw some DE down simply as a preventative (no one has symptoms of mites or lice). Any idea what could be going on?

Keep an eye on him. After he goes to roost at night, take a flashlight and take him off the roost to look for any mites or lice under his vent, or on his back, and under wings. You could put some electrolytes and vitamins in the water for a day or so, or give him a dose of Poultry NutriDrench 2-3 ml orally at night. Hopefully, he is just adjusting to the new chickens, but watch for any watery eyes, nasal drainage, or sneezing. Worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer at this time of year might be helpful. Offer him some cooked egg and some moist chicken feed to see if he will eat.

Keep an eye on him. After he goes to roost at night, take a flashlight and take him off the roost to look for any mites or lice under his vent, or on his back, and under wings. You could put some electrolytes and vitamins in the water for a day or so, or give him a dose of Poultry NutriDrench 2-3 ml orally at night. Hopefully, he is just adjusting to the new chickens, but watch for any watery eyes, nasal drainage, or sneezing. Worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer at this time of year might be helpful. Offer him some cooked egg and some moist chicken feed to see if he will eat.

Ok so I looked him over further - he is pooping bright green now. I THINK I saw a few mites on his back. I did separate him from everyone else. I just cleaned my whole coop (like I said previously) and coated it with DE. I've never had mites before... what should I do? And should I still treat everyone for worms too? I've got 30 chickens.

Back
Top Bottom