lethargic rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SmithwellCityFarm, May 20, 2011.

1. SmithwellCityFarm

SmithwellCityFarm New Egg

May 20, 2011
    Hi, our rooster is very lethargic. He hasn't crowed all day, his tail feathers are droopy, his comb is blackish, he just sort of stares off into space. This morning when our daughter let the chickens out he didn't rush out and usher the ladies out and he hasn't tried to attack anyone in days.

He let me cradle him like a baby and sounded congested. also his vent is red, swollen and hard and seems to be dripping whitish poop.

I have seperated him and fed him some scrambled eggs.

I did just read about too much calcium, he is eating egg layer and it turns out he has only been getting that and no chicken scratch like usual; for the past couple of days because the scratch bag was under a cooler and our 8 year old couldn't get it out. they do free range and get scraps as well. there is no grass left in our backyard though.

please help, it's sad to see him so sick, even if we were planning on slaughtering him sunday. no animal should feel sick like him

2. imamamato3

imamamato3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    I would like to know what the problem is/was
    my beautiful fbcm roo is the same way yesterday and today
    i woke upand knew something was wrong.
    he hasnt crowed in 2days.... wont cluck to show the Girls food..
    all the hens seem concerned... which is weird... like they know something is wrong
    hes not himself AT ALL :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by