Lethargic silkie hen? Or broody?

Shesinthebarn

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
Brant County, Ontario
Hi!
Yesterday I picked up two nice show quality birds. One is a white silkie hen. I picked them up at a show. The silkie was very docile and I didn't think much of it because they are know to be docile. Today she is not eating and only drinking when I place her in front of the water and dip her beak. She has sat in the same position for hours. She does not struggle at all when you pick her up. When I go to look at her eyes she has them shut. Her fluffy butt has manure on it but not a lot and not super gross. When I try to stand her up she just lays down. She stays sternal, bit she won't stand for more that a few minutes.
What do you think? Sick, broody? Stressed? I am going to run out and get a quick video.

Unfortunately, she has gone from bad to worse. She is now panting and has droopy wings. Won't move. This would be easier of I knew more about her, but I've only had her for a day! I have not seen her straining to lay an egg, nor does she have a runny nose. Still won't eat, and now has stopped drinking. I used a dropper to get some water into her, along with some raw egg as suggested by a seasoned poultry friend. She is separated from my other birds, in a box inside my house. I am out of ideas. Except to try and soak her bottom in warm water to see if maybe she is egg bound. Any other suggestions? If she makes it through the night I will take her to a vet.

It could be a lot of things from coccidiosis, enteritis, worms, or Mareks disease, but I would try to add some electrolytes to the water you are feeding her. I can't post links now, but if you google electrolytes for chickens, you will find some recipes. Gatorade and Pedialyte, or a teaspoon of sugar plus a pinch of salt in a quart of water would do for tonight. The drooping wings sounds bad. Perhaps she was stressed somehow at the show, maybe dehydrated or picked up something. I hope she lives to go to the vet.

Last edited:
Have you been able to contact the seller and see what she says? I hope she was not sold while obviously harboring some disease or illness.

I did contact the seller. He had no idea. I do believe him. He is a very high level breeder/showman in my province and the two birds I got from him were favours I asked of him...to be APA showmanship birds for my two children.
She seems more comfortable now, but still droopy. Panting has slowed. It has been a very cool summer here but the day of the show was very warm and a lot of the birds seemed stressed. The ride home from the show was almost two hours. The other pullet, a buff brahma bantam, is doing fantastic. I really don't think he knowingly gave us a sick bird. I sure hope not!

Back
Top Bottom