Lethargic Silkie - Suddenly Sick! Open mouth breathing???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by *silkie nut*, Dec 23, 2009.

1. *silkie nut*

*silkie nut* Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    One of our guys was found sulking in a corner, rustled feathers, eyes closed. At first glance, he just looked like he was sleeping. But when we brought out the food, he didn't react. I brought him right up to the food - he just stood there with his head tucked (they usually all go pecking away!). I brought him out on my lap, and he stayed quiet and started to look like he was "open mouth" breathing??? What can this be? What can we do? We don't have much in the way of a first aid kit for our guys yet - but we managed to get some polyvisol in him in hopes of perking him up. I've read that cooled scrambled eggs help arouse their appetite? He seems "ok" otherwise (physically).

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

2. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I'm curious too. Today I just lost one of the best black silkie roosters I've ever had my hands on. He was fine yesterday and not so much as a scratch on him today. I found him laying on his side and unresponsive too. He was still breathing. I brought him in the house and no reponse to any attempt at treatment either. The really horrible part for me was that this bird was on loan from Premier Silkies. Ughhhh

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I haven't had any luck with scrambled eggs, ONLY boiled eggs.

Maybe try some Pedialyte for the perk up. I lent my father in law my Chicken Health Handbook, so I can't look it up.

See if you can get her to eat some strawberry yogurt and or boiled eggs. Even try ham.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Open mouth breathing is typically a sign of a respiratory illness/infection. Was their wheezing in the chest? For it to die so quiclky, it may have had it w/o showing signs. Look up respiratory diseases and see if any look similar. Any other symptoms......

5. *silkie nut*

Dec 13, 2009
    no wheezing but he continues to be very lethargic and have shallow breathing.
    no discharge anywhere.
    i have him at home now sitting by the fireplace for added warm (his body temp was very cool but he's slowly warming up). been only syringing him glucose water... can't get any solid food in him.
    he's not open mouth breathing as much now.
    i looked up resp. diseases and they don't really seem to match up [​IMG]

6. *silkie nut*

Dec 13, 2009
    could it be avian influenza?

7. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    given your silkie some tylan 200 injection(use orally only) and then put some food down its mouth to help them recover faster.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It absolutely MUST have antibiotics. It is some type of respiratory illness most likely. You can give the tylan orally as mentioned.

9. *silkie nut*

Dec 13, 2009
    Thank you to all who responded.

Unfortunately it was too late for our little Noodle. We opted to have him euthanized a short while ago as it seemed too far advanced and he went downhill so quickly. Of all the days - Christmas will never be the same [​IMG]

10. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    *silkie nut* :

Thank you to all who responded.

Unfortunately it was too late for our little Noodle. We opted to have him euthanized a short while ago as it seemed too far advanced and he went downhill so quickly. Of all the days - Christmas will never be the same [​IMG]

Sorry for ur lost.... Even when you think it too late. Its never too late when you use tylan 200. Just thought you should know.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by